Forums

golf digest 2012 hot list for golf balls

• 1784 points

Current month's issue of GD had thier reivew of golf balls.  (I didn't see it on line  yet).

Any thoughts on the proper way  to find the right ball?  I got samples from Titleist recently (almost the full line).  I'm interested in the process you go through to check out a new ball.  I've looked at the manufacturers web sites, and the each slight differnt recommendations.

The process I've used in the past is to eliminate the high spin balls, as i tend to bend them too much, and play with a couple of the balls the testers liked in the other categories.

Thoughts?

•  

There are usually some very helpful tips in any or most of the ball website you'd like to use.

Here's an example: http://www.titleist.com/golf-ball-fitting/

Then continue on with what previous lessons I needed to work on.  . . . to where really the bulk of the search or work boils down to.

I stick with that same category ball until I've improved or have any significant change.  Then the process repeats.

Good luck!

• 2180 points

I haven't seen the article yet, so cant comment on their list. 

But picking a golf ball for me, I've always gone to the local pro shop and picked up a sleeve of this and a sleeve of that.. and golfed with them. Find some I like, some I dont, and some I love. 

In the end you need to find a ball which you are comfortable when using for all of the golf shots you encounter in a round then stick to that one. 

I still try other golf balls, but I like the ProV, nike 20xiS, Taylor made Penta for my game. For me I have great feel and distance with all 3 of them. 

•  

I think a lot of ball fitting comes down to what you are looking for in your ball.  You can maximize your distance, feel around the green, spin creation, etc.  I believe a launch monitor can give your driver spin rate on different balls, I would than take it out on the course and compare a few balls with the driver, 5 iron, wedge, and putter.  I think being on the course not only can show you distance, but flight angle, feel on chips, and putts.  Anyway that is the way I would test a new ball.  Besides I hate hitting a new Titliest down range.

•  

NCBob

I think a lot of ball fitting comes down to what you are looking for in your ball.  You can maximize your distance, feel around the green, spin creation, etc.  I believe a launch monitor can give your driver spin rate on different balls, I would than take it out on the course and compare a few balls with the driver, 5 iron, wedge, and putter.  I think being on the course not only can show you distance, but flight angle, feel on chips, and putts.  Anyway that is the way I would test a new ball.  Besides I hate hitting a new Titliest down range.

This actually the only way to truely understand how a ball will react to your game. By taking a few samples and hitting the various shots that are persistent in your game, will you gain a true understanding of the ball characterisitics. It is as much a personal preference/Feel as it is ball performance...

-ICONs for ALL

• 1495 points

I personally like bridgestone b330s'. I was playing Titliest Pro V1's but found they scuff to easy through out the round. but that's just personal preference. I agree with the previous post about it's all about what your looking for in your golf ball. Buy a sleeve and test them out and go from there. That's the best way to figure out what workds best for you. Good hunting.

•  

miguelj20

I personally like bridgestone b330s'. I was playing Titliest Pro V1's but found they scuff to easy through out the round. but that's just personal preference. I agree with the previous post about it's all about what your looking for in your golf ball. Buy a sleeve and test them out and go from there. That's the best way to figure out what workds best for you. Good hunting.

I agree that buying a sleeve is the way to go....assuming you can't get any free samples.  Not too long ago I tried out a sleeve of the new Titleist Velocity balls - I really liked them and next time I buy a dozen that is what I will buy.

•  

Has anyone tried the new NXT Tour? I have played that ball in the past and have heard the new version is even better.

I continue to go between the Pro V1 and Pro V1x as my ball of choice, just have not decided which one i like the best for my game.

•  

A REALLY GOOD ARTICLE THAT TOUCHES ON JUST ABOUT EVERY BALL.

THIS ARTICLE, LIKE OTHERS IN THE PAST, TELLS ME I SHOULD BE PLAYING A TITLEIST SO-LO, BUT EVERY TIME I PLAY SO-LOS I END UP GOING BACK TO MY PRO V1X.

I GUESS AT THIS STAGE OF MY GOLF GAME IT DOESN'T MAKE MUCH DIFFERENCE WHAT BALL (OR ROCK) I PLAY,BUT PRO V1X STILL FEELS BEST TO ME.

•  

DOGLOSKI

A REALLY GOOD ARTICLE THAT TOUCHES ON JUST ABOUT EVERY BALL.

THIS ARTICLE, LIKE OTHERS IN THE PAST, TELLS ME I SHOULD BE PLAYING A TITLEIST SO-LO, BUT EVERY TIME I PLAY SO-LOS I END UP GOING BACK TO MY PRO V1X.

I GUESS AT THIS STAGE OF MY GOLF GAME IT DOESN'T MAKE MUCH DIFFERENCE WHAT BALL (OR ROCK) I PLAY,BUT PRO V1X STILL FEELS BEST TO ME.

That is the trouble with EGO. Gets in the way of ID. We all suffer, it has something to do with getting older.

•  

Shaun

I have some of the new NXT Tour S but haven't opened them yet. Intel I have says it's like the older Pro-V1 models. Will let you know, probably after I get back from MB.

•  

Tar Heel

Shaun

I have some of the new NXT Tour S but haven't opened them yet. Intel I have says it's like the older Pro-V1 models. Will let you know, probably after I get back from MB.

Randy, did any alarms go off with that post? That was number 4,000!

•  

i saw that article.  i thought the graph was interesting.  some of the 'cheaper' balls were rated just as high as some of the 'expensive' balls.

the only way to truly know which ball is best for you would be to try them out.  unfortunately i don't play enough for a ball to make a huge impact on my game.

•  

shaun13

Has anyone tried the new NXT Tour? I have played that ball in the past and have heard the new version is even better.

I continue to go between the Pro V1 and Pro V1x as my ball of choice, just have not decided which one i like the best for my game.

i haven't tried the new one, but liked the old one.  i got a free sample sleeve a few years ago and loved them.  i'll have to try the new one out.

•  

golferdrmjr

Tar Heel

Shaun

Randy, did any alarms go off with that post? That was number 4,000!

If the NXT Tour S is like the older Pro-V1 models, then I'll have to get some.  I liked the older Pro V1s.  Seems like some pro is playing the NXT Tour S, but I could be wrong.