Forums

Bearing down on counterfeit clubs

•  

Personally, I am glad the all the big golf manufactures are going after these people.

Score another round for the golf industry in its ongoing fight against counterfeiting.

More than 175 websites engaged in the sale of counterfeit golf equipment were shut down Wednesday, the U.S. Golf Manufacturers Anti-Counterfeiting Working Group announced after a preliminary injunction was issued in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.

The lawsuit, Acushnet Co., et al., vs. 100golfclubs.com, et al., targeted more than 130 defendants operating 175-plus websites. Acushnet, Callaway, Cleveland, SRI Sports, Karsten Manufacturing and TaylorMade comprised the plaintiffs’ group.

The temporary restraining order represents one of the golf manufacturers’ biggest blows against the flood of fake goods into the U.S. marketplace via the Internet. Earlier this year, some 60 similar websites had been disabled.

“Over the last decade, we’ve seen a significant increase in counterfeiters using the internet as a tool to dupe consumers,” said Christa McNamara, director of corporate communications for TaylorMade-adidas Golf. “We’ve shut down a significant number of websites with this recent joint action, and it gives us momentum in our efforts moving forward.”

Jud Hawken, associate general counsel for Ping, said the injunction will help golf’s manufacturers stem the supply of fake goods into the marketplace.

“We understand that as long as there are people buying counterfeit clubs, there will be counterfeiters out there to make them.” Hawken said. “That’s why education about counterfeit equipment is so important. Hopefully, future visitors to these websites will see that they’ve been shut down and realize that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.”

• 450 points

that is good for the the companies that are being counterfitted

• 2784 points

Let's hope the pressure stays on to keep counterfit guys out. The legit manufacturers spend fortunes on R & D and are an integral part of our sport and shouldn't have to compete with folks who are stealing their concepts and producing stuff with inferior materials and  labor. 

•  

This is very good news both for the good of American Companies and American consumers including the golfers who will end up owning a "junk" golf club.

Fakes are the worse of its kind.  The only thing better than fake are not owning one, and not being fooled by a cheat.  Clone, I can understand.  But fake lies and cheat.  They have no place here in America.

A friend took his clubs to a shop.  He was concerned about erratic results.  The pro shop showed him the different swing weight each of his clubs displayed changing from D1-D6, and it's not even in a uniform escalation.  After he told me this, I didn't have the heart to tell him that he was faked. . . he got it cheap, but fake.

•  

Good to see the big names going after the counterfeiters...need to shut those folks down.

•  

i dont want counterfit clubs in this country at all.... it is good for the real companies to stop the fakes comming out to the market

•  

that's great to hear.  counterfeit clubs are a tricky business.  i know someone who bought an R11 on ebay.  it broke on his first round and when he called Taylor Made, they had to tell him it was a fake.  live and learn, but still pretty crappy.

i'd care less if they charged next to nothing (like $10 Rolexes).  but even that isn't right.

• 2180 points

Good to see the golfing community is trying to stay on top of stopping counterfeiters. Any money going to them is a true loose/loose situation. 

We will never see the end to it, but being an aware consumer, and knowing the golf world is trying to stop them helps a ton.

•  

tdogg21

that's great to hear.  counterfeit clubs are a tricky business.  i know someone who bought an R11 on ebay.  it broke on his first round and when he called Taylor Made, they had to tell him it was a fake.  live and learn, but still pretty crappy.

i'd care less if they charged next to nothing (like $10 Rolexes).  but even that isn't right.

Right.

The International airlines should also not allow persons to bring it in our country.  Period!

OUR American CUSTOMS should ALSO put a BAN on this like they do with say. . . cologne and perfume, Gucci apparels. . .etc.

They actually encourage passenger and allow them a limit of 2 (two) faked unlicensed golf equipment per passenger!!!!

From a person who do not have a trained eye, a bag and a whole set of TaylorMade/Titleist or what have you, will never be able to tell a difference between the two if you set them side by side.

. . . . and, in "China", did I mention China?, yes, in CHINA, a whole set of top of the line "anything" would only cost a little over $200 which includes a beautifully faked and a very FALSELY made unlicensed staff bag to go along with a beautiful fake set of clubs that will end up among us only break our heart and mind if we are not careful. . . not to mention what they ARE doing to our economy and cheating our American consumers.  It's bogus.  I think it's a dis respect to Americans as they cheat us. 

It steals from our game. . . !!!

GOLF, it steals from golf.

That affects you, you, you, me, and you, and you. . . everyone!

•  

If you are wondering about a fake club, buy from an authorized dealer...

•  

Fake clubs are always under attack by the larger and smaller manufacturers.  Some will even list websites to be on the lookout for the fake clubs.  Ebay tries to control fake merchandise but it is a losing battle as so many sites will keep changing their domains.  The first warning sign should be the price.

•  

ToddL

If you are wondering about a fake club, buy from an authorized dealer...

There!  It's hard to go wrong with that.

Thank you.

• 385 points

I am all for shutting down these fake club suppliers, but in this day and age with the ease of changing domain names and the similarities in fake and real clubs, the best thing in my opinion would be to educate consumers on how to spot the difference between real and fake clubs and encourage buying from authorized dealers.

•  

Excellent news! I had a fake club sent to me, that I got for my dad. I looked legit but it clearly was not.

•  

In the spirit of reinforcing these events, it is our duty as embassadors of the game to tell our family, friends and colleagues the benefits of proper purchases from licensed sources to help them benefit from correct fitting; excellent value and future enjoyment of their purchase.

-ICONs for ALL