Forums

Having A Drink With The Pros

•  

Want to have a beer with a pro golfer?

Chances are you said yes.  In fact, if you’re like me, you probably have several pros in mind.   Everyone I play golf with discusses their favorite players and dream foursomes.   

One of the greatest signs of respect with my buddies is to say “he seems like a guy I’d like to have a beer with.”  Sure, you might like to sit down with Tom Brady or Kobe Bryant, but do you really feel like you understand these guys well enough to have a casual beer with them and just shoot the sh*t?   Most fans can’t relate to throwing a touchdown at Gillette Stadium or dropping 40 in the NBA Finals at the Staples Center. 

Golf is unique as a professional sport.  The human element is present.  Even through the small screen of the television or at an event, we can see the players’ emotions and relate to some degree.  It’s because fans can play the courses, have similar shots, and have those days when everything, or nothing, goes right.  Results are also the only measure of success in golf.  Scores aren’t just an outcome, but a livelihood.  This shows on the faces of golfers and I think fans appreciate the fact that pros play for their pay.  Each tournament is professional life or death for some…and the grinding, struggle and euphoria are there for all to see.  Those expressions and reactions create our opinions of these guys.  Everything contributes to the insight that fans glean from each individual. 

The game offers a glimpse into the lives of those that play it, even more so than other sports.  It’s the tears of joy streaming down Bubba Watson’s face after winning the Masters.  Okay, so not many of us have won the Masters, but you can identify in a small degree when you won the club championship or took ten dollars off the guy that you never beat.   It’s the gracious defeat displayed by Louis Oosthuizen that all of us know because we lose more times than we winGolfers are human and their condition is on display at every tournament.  We appreciate that and gravitate to support those that we identify with on the course.  In the end, everything about golf reflects on the individual…just like life.  We sometimes get to pick the people that we want to join us for the “game” but in the end it is what we, alone, make of it.  

“These guys are good” is a perfect tagline for the PGA TOUR.  It works on so many levels.  They are good at their sport, but there are a lot of good people too.  I’ve had the pleasure of meeting a few at different events.  These are guys you would want to casually hang out with because you feel like you know them in some small way.  As I sit here and reflect on the Masters’ playoff between Louis and Bubba, they both seem like guys I would like to have a beer with – or a drink of their choice – and just shoot the sh*t.  In a sports landscape loaded with “idols,” I’ll take the good guys.

Who would you like to hang out with and have a beer or three?

• 3506 points

In light of watching the Masters, the clear cut winner and drinking partner for the night would be Miguel Angel Jiminez. Everyone already knows his red wine and cigar affection and he just seems like one heck of a nice guy. Plus, hanging with him may help me get more cultured and awesome at life.

Other then MAJ, Bo Van Pelt seems like a super person who would love to have several with ya!

Great post!

•  

Jason Bohn...nicest guy out there and as genuine as they come!

•  

Freddie Couples.

He has always been a favorite of mine.

TT

•  

dzabkar

In light of watching the Masters, the clear cut winner and drinking partner for the night would be Miguel Angel Jiminez. Everyone already knows his red wine and cigar affection and he just seems like one heck of a nice guy. Plus, hanging with him may help me get more cultured and awesome at life.

Other then MAJ, Bo Van Pelt seems like a super person who would love to have several with ya!

Great post!

Excellent choice.  Miguel Angel Jiminez is golf's version of the "World's Most Fascinating Man."   It would be awesome to hang with him.

•  

Natalie Gulbis

•  

Male: John Daly, I want to hear all his stories.

Female: Paula Creamer, need I say more?

•  

Whaql1

Male: John Daly, I want to hear all his stories.

Female: Paula Creamer, need I say more?

those will be my choices as well

•  

Very well written, I like the overall theme / approach to everyday life versus some who have differentiated themselves.

My group would be Peter Ulhiem, Jack Nicholas, Arnold Palmer, and Bubba.  Each bring a different perspective and would be a life learning experience.

Great Question.

• 2819 points

I would go back a little and love to lift a few with Lee Trevino. I imagine he has a lot of great stories. 

•  

Amen. Would love to have a cold one with Zach of Stricker.

•  

bholley

Natalie Gulbis

Problem is Bruce is that you wouldn't be able to swallow your drink because the drool would be in the way.

•  

I'd have to say Jack and Arnie...what stories would be told and lessons learned

•  

When the senior tour first got going they would all hang out at the hotel bar and close it down.  Those guys were fun and all had  a million stories. Now they all go to the gym.  I think Lehman might be a good guy to have a drink with.

• 2180 points

So after reading memphis first post. First thought that came to mind was Jiminez. For the simple fact, like others have stated, being the "most interesting man in golf." 

However after reading some of the other choices people posted. I found myself saying, "ohh ya great choice."  

Truth to the matter, I honestly couldn't pick one above another. There are so many interesting people in this sport. Be it from the "new school" or the "old school" both would be great experiences IMO. 

Then what kind of stories to I tell? hahahaha.. "So there I was playing in a scramble, and I had 210 to the hole, slight draw wind. Pulled my 6 iron, then duff'd the dang thing"  hahaha.. 

I would just be the ears of the conversation trying to take it all in. Even better would be to get all of these guys in a pub, and just sit in the corner and listen :D 

Ohh and who wouldn't want to have drinks with natalie gulbis or paula creamer... like lots of drinks ;)