Forums

Spring time, and the Masters....

•  

Spring 2012 is here, and with it comes the first major, The Masters. It seems a bit disjointed this year, mainly because the weather has been summer-like all over the country for several weeks, and even Augusta won't have the Magnolia's in bloom because they lost their flowers weeks ago due to unseasonably early warm weather.

All of this means we, as golfers, have already been blessed with a jump start to our season. Many have had multiple rounds under the belts, long before they normally would be able. So in that regards the "traditional" start of golf season has already passed for many. But The Masters is now here, it has started, and so golf season has officially begun.

The past 12 months have seen a great many changes for each of us. Reflecting back, we've all had many blessings in our lives, but also some tough times as well. I'm one who thinks it wise to take a moment in idle times to think about all those experiences, both good and not so good, to ponder the learning from each and apply it to my life. To take time to call a friend in need. To say thank you for a kindness. Or just to simply say hello to someone you haven't spoken to in a long time.

This time of year in the Spring, which also happens to encompass the Easter holiday, is always a time of renewal and growth. Things blossom and become new again. New life sprouts up again from a dormant state, and with it we see beauty re-emerge in dark places. As the next few days take place, I ask you to consider the season in your own way. Enjoy your families and think about all the wonderful things in your lives, which includes the ability to congregate and play golf. So many great and wonderful things.

Here's to our collective 2012 golfing season officially starting. Be long, be straight, and enjoy! All my best....

•  
    Yea this has been a great year.... I have never thought that I could play golf in december, January, and febuary in Ohio it has been great
    • 2637 points

Thanks for a great perspective. Even for those of us who don't hit the ball long and/or straight consistently golf is a wonderful opportunity to spend time with great friends.I have a weekly foursome that has played together for eight years and the competition,laughing,needeling and words of encouragement never stop.

What a great game.

•  

The azaleas my not be in bloom in Augusta, but they're blooming here in MA.  Spring is a wonderful time, and yes, the season has officially begun!

•  

Thank you for a "Refreshing Perspective" to start off the new golf season. First round is officially in the books (was not pretty - 37 putts).

-ICONs for ALL

•  
    thomas alston iii

Thank you for a "Refreshing Perspective" to start off the new golf season. First round is officially in the books (was not pretty - 37 putts).

-ICONs for ALL

I had a similar outcome to my third round of the year. 14 greens (2 under regulation) and the same amount of putts for a 76.

•  

Very well said Randy.  

Everyone should count their blessings and know that any misfortunes and setbacks will make you a stronger person.  As the grass turns green and plants bloom in the spring, it is a time to reflect.  Seasons change and so does life.  Either that, or my allergies will just start kicking in harder.

The mild winter has been great for my golf game.  My group only missed one weekend this winter and that was due to heavy rains.  We played a few times in low 40s temps, but it wasn't bad at all.  It definitely helped my golf game as I just played my first tournament of the year this past Sunday and shot 73 and 79.  I was pretty happy with it.

I hope everyone has a great 2012 - both with their golf games and life.

•  

Devin_Gmitter
    thomas alston iii

-ICONs for ALL

I had a similar outcome to my third round of the year. 14 greens (2 under regulation) and the same amount of putts for a 76.

Was your third round recent? I played my 26th round at Torrey South today. Which I'm sure is half of what Fred, Doug, and others have already played.

•  

Nice sentiment Tarheel. How often do we forget to look around us and be thankful for what we have, the friends we have, and what we can do too help others.  

•  

Very well said Randy.  I'm blessed to live in a place where I can play year round, but there's nothing quite like watching the course green up almost before your eyes, watching the flowers bloom and seeing your home course(s) transform from the brownish/almost barren appearance into that beautiful bright green.  Also great for The Masters to be here as well.  

• 2180 points

here in the midwest it has been spring time all winter :(.. not good for a guy that loves the cold and snow.. However i've currently got 10 rounds in, and normally lucky to have 1 or 2 bye now.. So that is a good thing, and can tell my game for this summer will reflect the early practice. 

Still praying for some type of moisture for the midwest though. Fire danger is crazy high right now and the farming/ranching community is needed it badly. Would hate to see a catastrophic crop yield this fall. With our economy the way it is, thats the last thing we need. 

•  

Devin_Gmitter
    thomas alston iii

-ICONs for ALL

Good grief...not even on my best day have I shot a 76 (seriously...my personal best is a 77).  

•  

very nice.  this is by far my favorite golf weekend.   and also the weekend i really miss my Dad not being around.  we just loved watching the masters together.  unfortunately (well, honestly, fortunately) i have not been out to play yet.  but the reason is because my wife and i had our first child in December.  so due to everything that goes with a new baby (time, money, etc..) i haven't made it out.  but i just bought a new 3 wood last night, so hopefully i'll be out soon!

•  

Thanks for that meaningful commentary, Randy....Spring is surely a transitional time. Life's experiences make us the 'special' people we are and allow for us to flourish in the stages of development...As the golf season officially unfolds may the metaphor of spring be upon the FJ Community  !

•  

Very well said Randy...here's to hoping everyone has a great 2012 and have a great golf season as well.

I know my 2012 is getting off to a good start as I have been able to find work and will be starting tomorrow...hoping for continued good things for my family and yours.