Forums

kiawah island, any play this track......???

•  

Has anyone played this course? What were your impressions of the adventure?

It is this years PGA Championship track (Garrigus predict a +6 will win the PGA) Any takers on a prediction?

-ICONs for ALL

• 3627 points

I've played it many times. It's an incredible golf course that sits out on the end of Kiawah Island. One side of the course is on the Ocean Beach and the other side is low country marsh. The routing is a figure "8" with each nine ending along the ocean...but the back nine's final 5 holes are more dramatic and closer to the sea. 

I believe Garrigus played it from the tippy tips on every hole (7800-7900 yards). The PGA will have the course playing shorter though and use different tees on different days. If there is any wind it'll play ~7500 yards. The fairways are actually pretty wide, what makes the course hard are small, undulating, and elevated greens that are like tabletops. When there is wind those targets get much smaller. 

I would bet the winning score is closer to -4. 

(Remember...they said the same thing about an over par winning total for the PGA's at Kohler...but they never use the back tees and the wind never blew).

•  

been there but never played.  it's on my list.  it's not an easy course, but i think +6 is a little high.

•  

i havent played it

•  

THERE ARE SEVERAL COURSES ON KIAWAH ISLAND THE OCEAN COURSE, WHERE THE PGA IS GOING TO BE IS A REAL TEST.

I PLAYED THERE IN ON AND OFF RAIN AND WIND GUSTS TO 25 MPH.WHAT A TREAT.

YOU CAN USE A CART IN THE AFTERNOONS BUT THERE ARE NO CART PATHS AND YOU CAN DRIVE YOUR CART TO YOUR BALL AS EVERYWHERE IS NATURAL SO THE TRAPS ARE THE ROUGH .VERY NATURAL SETTING IN THE DUNES.

MY GUESS IS AROUND EVEN PAR WILL WIN-GIVEN A COUPLE OF DAYS OF WIND.

• 3627 points

DOGLOSKI

THERE ARE SEVERAL COURSES ON KIAWAH ISLAND THE OCEAN COURSE, WHERE THE PGA IS GOING TO BE IS A REAL TEST.

I PLAYED THERE IN ON AND OFF RAIN AND WIND GUSTS TO 25 MPH.WHAT A TREAT.

YOU CAN USE A CART IN THE AFTERNOONS BUT THERE ARE NO CART PATHS AND YOU CAN DRIVE YOUR CART TO YOUR BALL AS EVERYWHERE IS NATURAL SO THE TRAPS ARE THE ROUGH .VERY NATURAL SETTING IN THE DUNES.

MY GUESS IS AROUND EVEN PAR WILL WIN-GIVEN A COUPLE OF DAYS OF WIND.

If anyone here does make it to the TOC to play, I would highly suggest walking the golf course. You can take a cart in the afternoon but the "paths" are set way back and away from most fairways (which you can't drive on)...you'll end up walking more than if you didn't have the cart. The course is actually a very easy and enjoyable walk.

•  

Yes.  If the wind is blowing it's going to beat them to death.  After the first few holes there are no trees that will help with the wind.  It's going to be ugly. 

• 3627 points

John Deere,

I see your point regarding the wind...but sometimes I think it's easy to forget just how good the pros are! I'm guessing the winning score will be lower than what many people think. JMO.

•  

I know technology has gotten a lot better since the Ryder Cup but #17 was par 3 and players were hitting 3wd into it and weren't even hitting the green.  If it's windy is going to be like playing in The Open but it will be 100 degrees with no relief from the sun .  It wasn't much fun walking between holes because your walking through sand. 

We played the tips that day and several holes they could bring the tees back  25+ yards.  From where we were playing we weren't even in the landing areas.  It's not a friendly course for the players or spectators.