Forums

how much do you practice putting?

•  

wow....you guys spend a lot more time practicing and putting than i do.  probably has a lot to do with my scores being higher as well.  someday i'll have more time to practice, i hope.

•  

Everyone is different, but I'm always reminded there is never enough time to practice all the shots you need to play your best golf. By that i mean the trouble shots - not full swing shots. So, it occurs to me that you should work hard on your full swing, but you will get better scores quicker if you work harder on the trouble and short game shots.

Putting, in my opinion, is more less creating a procedure that allows you to consistently make the putter travel down your intended line, strike the ball solidly with a square face such that the ball starts on the intended line. From there, making 5 foot putts is fairly easy. If you made 95% of all putts inside of 5 feet, what would happen to your score?

So, putting practice is fine, but just rolling a few 20 foot putts to get the speed and then making 10, 5 foot putts to confirm your stroke is about all you need. Therefore, I'd suggest spending more time practicing chipping, pitching and sand shots. Combine that practice with the ability to make a lot of 5 foot putts and your might save 5 or more shots per round. 

•  

I try to practice my chipping and putting a few times a week for about 20 minutes.  I like to stop by the course on my way home from work to de-stress.  It really does help me be a better dad and husband - even if its only 15 minutes, because I'm a lot happier once I get home.

•  

Alot, I bought a roll-up green for the livingroom!  Still a work in progress!

•  

After yesterday's round...evidentally not enough. Had a great day driving and hitting greens but a horendous day putting. Looks like my 60/40 needs to now be 30/70 putting. Great timing on the post. Thanks Tdogg

•  
    I usually do some full swings (40 mins) and about an hr and a half on putting and chipping. As long as my full swings feeling good and working alright, I don't mess with it too much.
  •  

Depending on my morning work schedule I spend 45-60 MInutes on the range with equal or greater time on the short game practice area (3) times a week....When  evening traffic is at a stand still I'll postpone the drive home and hit the practice greens for an hour or so....Rather than reading the greens and putting to the holes all the time I'll putt to the edge of the green focusing on stroke control/speed and distance judgement.

•  

Other days are worse than most, but it's working out better and better as I go.  2010 and 2011 were the worst years for me- not to mention the 90s and early '00- being off work for days and weeks at times.  I don't want surgery and the thought of what the chiro were planning on doing was out of the question.  'Long story short, I lost 20-25 pounds, mostly around my abs-- it just happened along with Physical Therapy.  Now, I have daily stretches and exercises to follow if I want to continue to play golf as many times as I do for the rest of my days.  My back with a  degenerative (whatever it is) and pinched nerve and whatever else they're called-- slip disc (painful when the nerves gets caught), will never be stronger or heal.  I'm sure there are drugs for that, but drugs would just create something else and I don't want to risk it.  My abs are stronger now and it could be stronger and that's what is supporting my back.  The pain is always be there, but I only use pain killers when it's intolerable (only once this year- early Jan I think).

Anyway, I found nothing better than that.  But every case is different.  Consult a physician.

Good luck, my friend.

_n.

•  

I normally practice at least 3 times a week - anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes each time.  Work on 3 to 6 footers at least 5 minutes each time.

•  

When have availability I practice putting 2 times a week, usually 1 hour each time.

•  

Practice is paying off.  shot -4 (67).  28 putts.  A few errant shots or the score had the chance to be real low.

TT

•  

noeldaof, I feel for you on the back issue. I abused mine for years lifting and moving much more than I should. I now am in my late 40's and are paying the price. I have 4 bulging discs and other degenterative issues that I have to deal with. Epidurals have limited relief but the stretching and core exercise seem to help the most. I also now have had to learn not to swing 100% but about 75% on all swings to finish a round.

Good Luck

•  

OUTIGER

Practice is paying off.  shot -4 (67).  28 putts.  A few errant shots or the score had the chance to be real low.

TT

Nice round Tim!

for me it is 70/30 as I have really been working on my swing and tempo on the range. My putting is pretty good, what I need to spend more time on is the chipping and bunker play.

•  

OUTIGER

TT

nice round!  i really need to get out and play.  this playing only a couple times a year crap has to stop.

•  
    Tim, was that your best putt-putt round of your life?