Forums

Do you walk or ride?

• 3627 points

From browsing different posts on the forum, I've noticed that a lot of people seem to have big cart or staff bags (in posted pictures) which leads me to believe that many people on here ride most of the time. Personally, I like to walk most, of not every, time.

How about yourself? Walk, or ride?

•  

We play a lot and I like walking the first 18 in.  Sometimes when we fall behind, I'll pick up a cart at the turn.  Most likely I'll ride the following 18.  I don't carry most the time, I have a walking cart. . . I'll carry sometimes but it's a chore and I'll have to force my self and have to change bags.

One of my walking idol at the club is 76 years old who walks and carry 18 daily and often shoots his age or less.

I'd like to be halfway as decent as he is when I get to his age.

•  

it depends on the weather for me but i am like half and half

•  

i ride almost exclusively.  i had some knee issues a few years back (the effects of too much playground basketball).  those are cleared up, but due to a surgically repaired shoulder, carrying a bag is darn near impossible right now.  hoping that in another year or two i'll be back to being able to at least walk occasionally.  but there is also a lot of courses i play that require carts.

•  

Walk whenever possible

•  

I ride full time due to an old foot injury. Wish I could walk.

•  

Walk whenever possible, however if I am short for time I ride...

• 1596 points

I ride for health reasons. If I can talk my cart partner into it I like to walk while he keeps up with the cart and my clubs. Kind of like having a caddie.

Having a caddie and walking the course is how the game should be played.

•  

It is more of a condition of the party preference...(if one rides, we all ride). Personally, I walk most of the time.

-ICONs for ALL

•  

I walk almost all the time. I have a light bag for my push cart, and a bigger, heavier one for member/guest or othe multi-day tournaments that include a cart.

•  

I'm a walker.  I do have a cart bag, but I also use a push cart.  I figure there's no point in wearing myself out carrying my clubs when it's easier to push them!  I'd say I walk about 99% of the time.  I much prefer this...I get to really enjoy the course, I still can get around in under 3 hours if no one is in front of me, and walking to my ball gives me a little extra time to think about my next shot or blow off some steam from a previous bad shot. 

•  

I now ride almost exclusively.  I would much prefer to walk, but the people I play with do not--thus, I ride.  When I play at Champions, an immaculate course designed to be walked, I walk unless I'm playing in the summer.  Too many courses today are designed as residential courses--sell the lots and make more money because they front a golf course--and the distance between green and tee is often equal to or exceeds the length of most of the holes.  That makes for a very long day for walking, and slows most play significantly.  Courses make a significant portion of their money by renting the carts and most insist that it speeds up play.  That's always debatable.

• 2769 points

Having reached a level of significant maturity(also known as over 70) I now ride and leave the pleasure of walking to the utes. I still avoid a cart bag since the bigger bag is just an excuse to pack more unneccesary stuff.

•  

When I play in the afternoon I will always walk.  In the mornings we are required to have a cart, so we use an attachment that holds 4 bags, so you do a lot of walking and riding.

•  

I have 2 bags - 1 for walking and 1 cart bag.  The walking bag simply does not fit so well on a cart, thus the 2nd bag.  I will walk at every opportunity.