Forums

Play the Ball Up

• 1596 points

My right elbow has a case of tenditist. I believe it developed from playing courses with a thin winter cover. Banging the club on hard surface will, over time, cause tenditist. The cure is a couple of things including complete rest.. not an option if you love golf. The other option is play the ball up. Of course people you may be playing in league play would object.

This is a real delimina for folks, like me, that want to follow the rules. I have thought of dropping out of league play until the ebow heals, and that may be the answer. Another is load up on pain medication, an idea I reject.

I would like to hear how others have dealth with this problem.

Play On!!

•  
    I wouldn't mind it but if you would play the ball up the other players in your group should be able to do the same thing
  •  

Play on McDuff!

i've got a similar problem right now with my left shoulder.  i refuse to not play and for me, operations and cortizone are out.  i find that even playing up at the old folks tee i still play my normal bogey golf. (that's just how i play, bogey golf)  i am however because of my shoulder swinging easier and not as full.  this seems to be keeping my shots a little straighter. (now there's a plus)  i haven't really lost much yardage though as i am not a really big hitter anyway.  so, i am going to move back to "THE MENS TEE" where real men play from and give it a try from there again with the easier swing.

who knows, maybe this shoulder problem can create some game improvement in this old boy.  maybe i've been trying to hard to hit the ball and i should let the clup do that part once again.

•  
    Senior, have you had someone look at your swing? Most elbow injuries are caused by a cast motion at impact, causing hyper extention of the elbow. I just had surjury because I played through what I thought was just an iritation. Take the time off, it will to you well, to reduce the inflammation of the joint. The left shoulder issue is what I had, don't ignor it get it checked out by an orthopedic dr. Mine was a tour labrum and bicept, caused by the golf rotation of the shoulder. Be healthy and play well.
  •  

i have to say, taking time off is your best option.  or doing exercises to strength the arm around the elbow would most likely help (not sure of your exact injury).

good luck!

•  

That was a good answer by beej.  Similarly, what i have done is to "club up".  if it's normally an 8 iron for a 150, I have gone up to a 5 iron.  It's still fun!

•  

play the ball up, like tee it up on every shot?

•  

WELL OUR TENDONITIS IS "ALL OVER OUR BODIES". WITH AN AVERAGE AGE OF OUR 6 REGULAR PLAYERS OF WELL OVER SEVENTY WE ALWAYS HAVE SOMETHING GOING KAPUUT.

OUR 4 MOST REGULAR PLAYERS HAVE GONE TO PLAYING IT FORWARD TO THE "LADIES"TEES. THAT HELPS IN BRING ABLE TO GET TO A COUPLE OF PAR 4S IN REGULATION BUT DOESN'T HELP THE "TENDONITIS OF THE BODY" VERY MUCH.

WE ALMOST ALL HAVE KNEE BRACES AND TAKE ALEVE BEFORE PLAYING.

I'VE GOT A BACK PROBLEM RIGHT NOW AND HAVE A HEATING PAD ON IT. WILL NOT PLAY TOMORROW IN HOPES THAT IT WILL BE BETTER THURSDAY,,,,,,SO MUCH FOR GETTING OLD.

JUST KEEP ON "HACKING",,,,,,,WE LOVE THE GAME SO MUCH A FEW ACHES AND PAINS WON'T KEEP US OFF THE COURSES.

•  

DOGLOSKI

,,,,,,SO MUCH FOR GETTING OLD.

its hell getting older and trying to play like we used to, but getting old and playing sure does beat the alternative.

• 1596 points

Thanks for all the good advise. I am going for the cast strap that many tennis players use. It puts pressure in the right area of the fore arm to relieve most of the pain. The pain was bad enough I could not use my putter to flip the ball up in the air.

I bought the strap in the PGA Superstore so I was able to hit a few balls, and more importantly flip the ball with a putter. I can tell it is going to be a big help on the course. Tomorrow will be a good test I play in a local Senior league tournment.

This is a great forum to get feed back, and I really do appreciate the help.

• 2180 points

If you can, I would consult a personal trainer who has worked with the problem before or a sports therapist. 

They can give you some stretches and or exercises for your it. It will take some time to see some results, but has worked for a lot of people. 

•  

I am with the see an orthopedic doc and get some physical therapy.  I do exercises every morning to keep the shoulders mobile. My problem came from how I held the grip while I bent over to tee it up.  Crazy what happens just like Dog said.

•  

Senior Golfer

Thanks for all the good advise. I am going for the cast strap that many tennis players use. It puts pressure in the right area of the fore arm to relieve most of the pain. The pain was bad enough I could not use my putter to flip the ball up in the air.

I bought the strap in the PGA Superstore so I was able to hit a few balls, and more importantly flip the ball with a putter. I can tell it is going to be a big help on the course. Tomorrow will be a good test I play in a local Senior league tournment.

This is a great forum to get feed back, and I really do appreciate the help.

Good luck in the tourney but, be sure to not over extend in your play or you will end up getting sidelined for a considerable amount of time (surgery). Take care.

-ICONs for ALL

• 1596 points

Thanks again for the input. I was given some pain meds, and told to rest it....

I played this morning using the arm strap cast that tennis players use. Also one hydrocodone 10/ acetaminophen 325 mg...for pain, I played with just a little discomfort, and shot an 83, a decent score for me. Tomorrow I play another course, Sat.. Mens League, and Monday PGA Superstore Scramble. Firday and Sunday lite pratice.. mostly putting, and short chips. Next Tuesday rest,

I really do appreciate the input, and kind thoughts.

Nap Time

•  

Senior Golfer

Thanks again for the input. I was given some pain meds, and told to rest it....

I played this morning using the arm strap cast that tennis players use. Also one hydrocodone 10/ acetaminophen 325 mg...for pain, I played with just a little discomfort, and shot an 83, a decent score for me. Tomorrow I play another course, Sat.. Mens League, and Monday PGA Superstore Scramble. Firday and Sunday lite pratice.. mostly putting, and short chips. Next Tuesday rest,

I really do appreciate the input, and kind thoughts.

Nap Time

dang....you play more in a week when you are 'resting' than i got to play all last season!