Forums

Iron Design

• 942 points

I benefit from over sized, and cavity backs. One of the guys I play with has a patent on the cavity back, going back to 1990.

"A set of iron-type golf clubs including a predetermined number of clubs is disclosed with each club including a hosel portion with a shaft operatively inserted therein and a blade portion attached to the hosel portion. The blade includes a substantially planar face portion which is generally oval in shape, a back portion which is generally oval in shape and is disposed opposite the planar face portion. The back portion includes a cavity which is generally oval in shape. A torsion ring which is generally oval in shape completely surrounds the cavity and distributes the weight thereof around the perimeter of the cavity".

He is now 80 and plays with the same clubs he orginally designed. He is still a very good player, and stays in the 70's.

He brought out his one (1) iron for me to hit, and I was suprised how soft the ball off the face felt.

Different that him I play Adams Ao7, Adams UL Driver w/senior shafts, and matching woods.

• 3542 points

When it comes to irons, I think you should play something you can hit consistently and gives you confidence that you can. There are a lot of clubs that have a thin top line and have the forgiveness of a larger cavity back. The AP2's come to mind. I have played both blades and cavity backs and there are benefits to both. On my good days the blades are great but, if my swing is not quite there, I like (and need) the forgiveness that cavity backs offer in the longer clubs. Timb mentioned a combo set and that's what I'm playing now. I have the Titleist ZB 4-6 and the ZM 7-PW. I get the best of both worlds, the forgiveness of the ZB's in the long irons and the workability of the ZM's in the short irons. With that said; I don't plan on getting rid of my AP's anytime soon either.

• 3506 points

I played the Mizuno MP30s forever and I really liked the look of the iron standing over it. When I was shopping around for my new irons, I was torn between the AP2's and 712CB's. I ended up with CB's becuase of the familiar look to what I was used to with the MP30s. But, you have to be able to pure the iron at the end of the day. If I couldn't hit the CB style iron, I would have had to gotten used to the thicker look like on the AP irons.

Never blades though, too much like a butter knife

•  

GTJacket8

I much prefer a more compact club head size as well as a thinner topline.  I like the look at address and something about those features inspire confidence for me.  I used to play with much large super game improvement clubs, but now that I've gotten away from those I could never go back.  My irons and short game are the strong suits of my game (I can't get off the tee consistently to save my life) and most days, my iron play is good enough to play a players-style iron (key phrase is most days).  The great thing about clubs these days is we have so many options from large and forgiving to smaller and still forgiving, to full-out blades.  Technology has come a long way for us hacks!

i'm in the same boat, except for me, it changes hole to hole.  lol.

•  

how many people have gone to the mixed set?  i've debated getting more of a game-improvement club for my long irons and a players club for my short-irons.

•  

These are all great inputs from each and everyone!  It's good to read that most of us have some of the same basic thoughts and likes about iron sets, and it is comforting to know that.

* Incorporating or exchanging long irons to hybrids really makes sense.

* Stepping back from too much clubs, down to something useful is as equal.

* Sacrificing looks for performance - - (deep breath) I'm gonna need to.

Titleist AP2 looks very promising.

Thanks.

•  

Noel, there are several club designs that look clean yet have excellent playability. The Nike Pro-Combo or the Titleist AP1/AP2 come to mind.

• 1790 points

I love the feel of a forged iron, but have stuck with the game improvement clubs as I need the help.

• 534 points

I prefer and play with blade style irons for two reasons. The thin top line and the feel. I've had my MP-32's for years now and recognize they are getting old but I don't want to change as Mizuno has moved away from the simple looks of the older cut back models. Even the elite models of this year are taking on the game improvement look to them. I just don't want to go that route.

•  

noeldaof

These are all great inputs from each and everyone!  It's good to read that most of us have some of the same basic thoughts and likes about iron sets, and it is comforting to know that.

Thanks.

i wouldn't sacrifice too much looks for performance.  if something doesn't look good, you're not going to want to play it very long.  it'll get in your head.

•  

tdogg21

noeldaof

Thanks.

i wouldn't sacrifice too much looks for performance.  if something doesn't look good, you're not going to want to play it very long.  it'll get in your head.

You're right, tdogg21, that was too loose a statement.  "I TAKE THAT BACK!!!" I want the good looks! - I want the good looks . . . (lol)

•  

There are just too many options available in the market but, to make life less complicated, go get a professional fitting!!! It may cost a few dollars or become a free service upon purchase but, they will take you through the process/analysis of swing speed, launch angles, ball speeds, shaft choice and proper club design for your swing. It will take some time and will result in a set of clubs thst meet all of your specifications.

My preference in club style is a compact head with clean lines at address (MB or CB are the style choices).

-ICONs for ALL

•  

noeldaof

tdogg21

noeldaof

Thanks.

You're right, tdogg21, that was too loose a statement.  "I TAKE THAT BACK!!!" I want the good looks! - I want the good looks . . . (lol)

not just good looks, but make sure the look gives you confidence.  i don't think i could hit some of the huge looking irons.  even if they helped my game, i just wouldn't have confidence in being able to hit all of my shots.

but i have to admit, i want a good looking club in my bag as well.  lol

•  

Mizuno are competing with my likes against Titleist.  I've hit a few of AP2 and M59, yesterday.  Both of them felt very good and the tape marks were consistently on the same spot for both.  I thought it was already good, but the pros suggest an actual fitting in doors-- optimizing lie angles and club length and other things.  I'm going back for another tester with them.  Also, another store in the Palm Springs area that I go to does their fitting outdoors at the range.

The funny thing about this thread is, I'm not really in the market for a new iron set.  I knew I was unhappy with my current set and had been going back and forth with my older sets.  I just knew that there is is something else out there that is correct for me (my game).  . . . maybe this is helping me find it.

Anyway, back to my question to you:  What do you like in your iron design?