Forums

Would you ever vote for a Pro Golfer for Public Office?

•  

We've all seen how actors and athletes like to use their name recognition to run for public office.  Would you vote for a Pro Golfer for public office (I know that the answer is always depends -but for the sake of banter lets hear it)?  Who would you vote for?  How much would political party influence your vote.

I have to be honest that I would vote for just about anybody right now that could keep gas below $2.75 a gallon like the good old days of a year or two ago. 

I think Phil Mickelson would make a great politician - and I mean that in a good way.  He has a pretty clean rep and is a family man. He is also a good speaker. I would also like Steve Stricker too. 

Let's hear your opinions.

•  

In the spirit of the conversation, not many folks can transition into the political arena (with good conscience) and that makes picking some of our talented pros difficult. My point is that, I do not have a high opinion of political figures based on current and past history. It would be sameful to have the legacy of one our golf heroes tarnished by the political environment.

Just cannot do it....

-ICONs for ALL

•  

I think it would depend on who it was and what they stood for. Lot's of sports figures have been in public office. Bill Bradley was a pretty good basketballer and Rhodes scholar.

•  

thomas alston iii

In the spirit of the conversation, not many folks can transition into the political arena (with good conscience) and that makes picking some of our talented pros difficult. My point is that, I do not have a high opinion of political figures based on current and past history. It would be sameful to have the legacy of one our golf heroes tarnished by the political environment.

Just cannot do it....

-ICONs for ALL

Good point!  I wouldn't want that either, but anything is possible.  I just heard one of the tour guy stated he'd rather be in office than a golfer given the chance, (I forgot who said that), so there's a good chance of it one of these days.  And if there was one to be in gov's office, my guess would probably be someone like Annika Sorenstam, Arnold Palmer. . . Honestly, now that I think of it, Bobby Jones would probably be someone I would vote for. . . Jack!

•  

NCBob

I think it would depend on who it was and what they stood for. Lot's of sports figures have been in public office. Bill Bradley was a pretty good basketballer and Rhodes scholar.

i would have voted for Bradley, but unfortunately he made too much sense, so the democrats didn't want him.

•  

absolutely.  integrity is the heart of golf.  i would be willing to bet the average golfer has more integrity than the average pro athlete.

•  

Why not...they run their lives like a business as an independent contractor so they would have a good sense of business and how to run things

• 942 points

I agree "integerity" is the heart of golf, and I have experienced the PGA turning a blind eye to the "lack of", by the members. As one executive told me the PGA operates more like a union than enforcement of ethics. That may be the PGA, but not golf as a whole, to me golf in one of the few left that entegerity plays a role. I love golf.

As a politician, and gas prices (sentive issue).. oil Companies product oil not the Gov.., but the Gov can, as it is now, get in the way.

Like most I have many changes just the past few years that impact us all. In my opinion they are NOT good. Banking is a good example. The Gov controls how the banks loan money.. a large part of our economy is now controlled by the Gov.. it was not that way as I grew up in business. One person I spoke with said the Gov HAD to take over because businesses operated like a teenager.. you give them the keys, and let them do what they want.. I spoke to that young man who believed that as true for nearly an hour,.

Answer to your question, anyone with integerity, and gets out of the way of business gets my vote. Anyone that thinks Gov is the answer .. does not get my vote.. golfer or not does not matter. I just want to see us get our Country back..

•  

Like your choices of Phil and Steve....They definitely have intregrity.  Not sure who I would pick to run for public office, but who I actually vote for would depend their platform.

•  

Most Presidents in the past 100 years have tinkered with golf although not always successful. William Howard Taft was our first golfing President but was also the first President to get stuck in a bath tub.

Since Eisenhower who was certainly the most avid golfer almost every President has played golf except for Johnson and Jimmy Carter who instead of golf tried fishing and wound up being attacked by a rabbit (obviously a Republican) while casting from a boat.

•  
    This is not a topic I will touch with a ten foot pole. Politics and Religion are way too hot to handle........
    • 942 points

I agree that it is a tough topic, and as much as I hate politics I made comments. Why? Like many of my good friends we are upset with the new direction of the Country. We are not for the Government running our lives.

When playing golf it is better to give an occassional.. "good shot", "nice putt", and leave the politics behind.

Better topics, now that I have moved to the forward tees I am really enoying golf. Still playing forward, as a golfer, you need to adjust your "short game". The other day I had a 45 front 9, I adjusted and shot a 36 on the back 9... 2 boogies, 2 birdies, and the rest pars. This is a better way to focus my thoughts.. rather than politics. 

Politics = bad topic

•  

Here is my pick...

•  

+1, Pablo

•  

Pablo Rosales

Here is my pick...

haha....that's great!  i remember watching those videos as a kid.  hadn't seen them in MANY years and then i found them on youtube.  still funny.