Forums

Best Irons ?

•  

19hole
    The easy answer is.....the ones that you shoot the lowest scores with. But seriously, you don'tvsay what you are using now. That is usually a good starting point. Depending on wat you have the advice changes. As a Certified Titleist fitter and PGA Professional I am partial to the Titleist line and for someone at your handicap level I would start the fitting process with the AP1 iron line. I would probably not have anything stronger than a 5 iron in your bag and keep your wedge set pretty simple. Your best bet is to goto a local demo day and hit a bunch of clubs. Then go find a certified fitter fo thr iron brand that you liked the look and feel of. Be open minded to thevfitter as he is, or shoild be, a properly trained professional and will know a lot more about clubs and he swing than you do. Follow his dvice and follow up with a series of lessons from a PGA Professional and you will emjoy the game a lot more. Welcome to the Community and best of luck!

AS USUAL,,,WHEN THE PRO TALKS HE IS RIGHT ON.

GREAT REPLY.

WHAT A GROUP,,,WOW.

•  

i think the first question would be price.  how much do you want to spend?  second, how much do you play?  and third, what are your goals?  those answers will change everything.  if you're looking to spend better, you play a lot, and you want to greatly improve, then get fit and look at one of the big name companies.  they all have game improvement clubs.  they all are nice and it will come down to personal preference (mostly looks and feel).  if you play once or twice a year with a couple friends and don't care what you shoot.  then look for more of the budget clubs and i wouldn't worry about getting fit.  

my advice, honestly evaluate yourself and your game to get a starting point.  and then go to a shop and look at everything they have in the type of club you want (budget, mid-range, name brand).  pick 2 or 3 that look pleasing to the eye and take some swings.  whichever feels the best would be the one for you.  i would recommend a fitting and most places will fit you for free if you buy clubs from them.

• 691 points

I'm about the same handicap as you and I still live and die by my old Callaway x-20 irons. Hybrid wise I would recommend the Callaway Razr x hl and Razr X black fairway metals. But I agree with TNT009 with getting a proper fitting, what plays well for some might not play well for you. Find a full swing fitting(like at Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy) and see what they can do. But make sure they give you a good variety of manufacturers to try.
    • 3627 points

Mizuno makes the best iron, hands down. (Sorry Titleist!) :)

•  

PatCCraig

ARE YOU SURE? LOL,LOL,LOL.

•  
    The best irons are the ones you are fitted for!
  •  
    DOGLOSKI

PatCCraig

ARE YOU SURE? LOL,LOL,LOL.

I like my mizuno irons alot but I don't think they make the best irons on the market
    • 3852 points

the whole new irons thing is lost on me, having used the same ones for the last 16 years.

•  

PatCCraig

Probably the best forging method?  The Mizuno lines looks very nice.  I'm not sure per say it's the best.  Best for who?

I've been comparing them, AP2/MP59, side by side or at list I give them both the same amount of time and trial, but I take no bias to either one until I'm sure which one I fall into.

I am not a professional certified person to give advice, nor am I a good golfer, however, for the sake of the topic, the one thing that really matters is the club's engine (shaft) and without it being correct for the chemistry of the player and the clubhead weight, to which need to match up with your club head speed whether you are fast, slow, med, I think is very important.  If the reading reads "regular shaft", don't buy the stiff and then sign up with 24hr fitness.  It should have been done prior.  Anyway, the rest of it will have to do on how good you are in squaring the club at impact (or at least your intended shape of shot). . . then you can start asking for more forgiving club if it's not happening.

My dad has been a Titleist guy for many years and has played with Titleist most of his career.  He tells me to find what's best for me-- for my game. . . so I'm looking, too.

•  

I will stay neutral on the brand that I would pick,  especially when discussing forgiveness.

It really boils down to what brand preforms well for you. Go get fitted and attend a demo day where you can hit multiple manufacturers clubs. After that,  you have the "best clubs for you"  :)

• 1539 points

Ap1 would be a solid pick.
    • 3467 points

I like the lines of the mizunos as well. I can't stand a thick topline. However that is not useful information. You need to get fit for irons and the best irons are the ones that perform best for you. If you are open to anything you will be better served by the recommendations of you certified club fitter. I on the other hand have this nasty disposition to chunky toplines and lots of offset, I can't stand the sight of them and i can find a way to make a rediculously playable and forgiving iron, unplayable.

•  

golfdoc1

the whole new irons thing is lost on me, having used the same ones for the last 16 years.

i have been as well, but we really are missing out.  irons now are more forgiving and they have moved weight around to lower the center of gravity.  that causes the ball the fly higher, thus giving the companies the chance to strengthen the lofts.  so the new irons really will be longer than what you are playing now.  basically, since you're irons are so old, new ones really will be longer, straighter, and more consistent.

•  

suggest irons that are forgiving...AP1's would be a good choice

as for hybrids, hate to say it but I'm partial to Taylor Made products in this category...

•  

20 h player looking to improve equipment - got new driver and white hot putter last yr

looking for playability/some forgiveness.....

best irons????

best hybrids???

all replies welcome

Having played with you at The Town of Colonie G.C. , and almost losing my head...( as your 6 iron came un-glued on impact) I would strongly suggest some new irons.