Forums

Wedge Play...What is your wedge set makeup?

•  

tdogg21

Wheelez3030
    tdogg21

understood. i carried 15  or 16 clubs for a while when i had a 65 degree wedge and was trying different combinations of fairway woods and hybrids.  but i've started playing in more tourneys lately, so i dropped back to 14 and got serious about making decisions on what clubs to use.

I think that is what I will do

i decided that if i really wanted to dedicate myself to improving, i needed to go back to 14 clubs.  treating every round like a practice/goofing off round will only take you so far.  i'm not looking to be a pro or anything, but i do want to improve my game.  so made the decision to get a little more serious.

What I always found really fun and rewarding was going out with 7 clubs. You will learn to hit all types of different shots when you are in the middle of the fairway and don't have your club for X yardage.  High and soft, low and scooting, left, right, nuked, knocked down, you need it all when playing with half of your bag.  Being creative and visualizing the shot will be a necessity when you have 20-30-40 yard gaps in your bag!

•  

We play with only even or only odd in your bag.  Like DG said, it teaches you to be creative.

•  

Devin_Gmitter

tdogg21

Wheelez3030
    tdogg21

understood. i carried 15  or 16 clubs for a while when i had a 65 degree wedge and was trying different combinations of fairway woods and hybrids.  but i've started playing in more tourneys lately, so i dropped back to 14 and got serious about making decisions on what clubs to use.

i decided that if i really wanted to dedicate myself to improving, i needed to go back to 14 clubs.  treating every round like a practice/goofing off round will only take you so far.  i'm not looking to be a pro or anything, but i do want to improve my game.  so made the decision to get a little more serious.

What I always found really fun and rewarding was going out with 7 clubs. You will learn to hit all types of different shots when you are in the middle of the fairway and don't have your club for X yardage.  High and soft, low and scooting, left, right, nuked, knocked down, you need it all when playing with half of your bag.  Being creative and visualizing the shot will be a necessity when you have 20-30-40 yard gaps in your bag!

i use to do that when i played at our place in NC.  my Dad had half of his set in NC and half in PA.  and when i would go down and he wasn't there, i would use his set.  it was fun and like you said, would force you to be creative.  after my Dad passed away i took the rest of his set down, so i haven't played that way in a couple years.  i might have to go out some day this season a try it agin.

another thing to try that is fun, play a couple holes with only one club.  drives, pitches, putting, everything with only one club.

•  

tdogg21

Devin_Gmitter

tdogg21

Wheelez3030
    tdogg21

My friends and I have a name for that - "The 6 Iron Challenge."  One day a friend from college suggested we play the last three holes with only a 6 iron, it stuck.  When I play with him we throw it in from time to time on say a drivable hole or a par five.

i use to do that when i played at our place in NC.  my Dad had half of his set in NC and half in PA.  and when i would go down and he wasn't there, i would use his set.  it was fun and like you said, would force you to be creative.  after my Dad passed away i took the rest of his set down, so i haven't played that way in a couple years.  i might have to go out some day this season a try it agin.

another thing to try that is fun, play a couple holes with only one club.  drives, pitches, putting, everything with only one club.

•  

i use to have my own '6-iron challenge' i would use to break up monotonous rounds.  my Dad and i use to play so often, i would start to get bored.  so i did things like that to keep my interest.  i think i'm going to organize a 'mini-tournament' with my friends with either one club or 6 clubs.  something like that.  i think that could be fun.

•  

52, 56 (sand), 60

•  

I roll a PW, 52, 56, and 60.  All Vokey oil can old grooves.  I'll make the switch next year.  My 52 and 60 are pretty sharp still.  I mostly use my 56 around the greens.  I just "feel" it the best

•  

I am currently playing my new AP2s 712's P (47) and W (51), with Vokey SM4 (oil can finish) 54-08 and 58-06.  These cover the full range of what I need, without overly confusing the situation.

•  

I am playing Vokey spin milled 48, 54, 60, 64.  I really should consolidate to 3, but that would be too much to ask to give up one of DaVoke's.....

•  

ToddL

I am playing Vokey spin milled 48, 54, 60, 64.  I really should consolidate to 3, but that would be too much to ask to give up one of DaVoke's.....

Amen Brother....When you have quality in your bag, you do not want to let it go!

-ICONs for ALL

• 1613 points

All my clubs are Adams.. exception wedges, 2= 52, 56 Ping Tour.. my P is Adams

•  

I'm have 46, 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 62, 64. I find that is all I need. 

Or maybe a 48, 54, 60?

•  

i see what you did there... lol

gapping it every 2.5 feet, holla!

•  

EMKelly0106

I'm have 46, 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 62, 64. I find that is all I need. 

Or maybe a 48, 54, 60?

you missed a 55, 59, and 65!

• 3467 points

Justinu3

I've got 50, 55 (56 bent), 60.  My AP1 PW is 45*... 5 deg of separation...

I also run a 5 degree gap between my wedges.