Forums

Wedge Play...What is your wedge set makeup?

•  

It told to me a long time ago to make up the set with 10-15 yard spacing. So, I played around with the lofts to get that. Fortunately, I caught a really good sale on Vokey wedges and bought several with different bounces for different conditions. My stock set is a PW 46 degrees, 52 and 58 as it seems to cover about every thing I come across. Sometimes, for short courses with small greens that will change to the 46, 52, 56 and 60. . 

•  

I carry in my bag a 50º, a 56º and a 60º.

•  

Wheelez3030
    tdogg21

Wheelez3030

i have a 45, 50, 52, 56, 60, and a 64 in my bag

wow.  6 wedges and a putter. that's half your clubs.  what clubs do you exclude?

I have a driver 3 wood 4-9 iron and those wedges and a putter because I don't play in tournaments anymore so I don't care if I have 15 clubs

understood. i carried 15  or 16 clubs for a while when i had a 65 degree wedge and was trying different combinations of fairway woods and hybrids.  but i've started playing in more tourneys lately, so i dropped back to 14 and got serious about making decisions on what clubs to use.

•  

thomas alston iii

It is getting close to the season and new wedges are in the bag, what is your wedge set and why do you carry that particular makeup?

I carry 48, 52, 58, 60 - at the lower end, I still need the distance and at the higher end, I need the precision. I am going to invest in a 62 to cover certain tracks that have hard-pan.

-ICONs for ALL

Another question, were you fitted and hence that is why you carry this makeup?

-ICONs for ALL

•  
    tdogg21

Wheelez3030
    tdogg21

Wheelez3030

i have a 45, 50, 52, 56, 60, and a 64 in my bag

wow.  6 wedges and a putter. that's half your clubs.  what clubs do you exclude?

I have a driver 3 wood 4-9 iron and those wedges and a putter because I don't play in tournaments anymore so I don't care if I have 15 clubs

understood. i carried 15  or 16 clubs for a while when i had a 65 degree wedge and was trying different combinations of fairway woods and hybrids.  but i've started playing in more tourneys lately, so i dropped back to 14 and got serious about making decisions on what clubs to use.

I think that is what I will do
    • 3551 points

Right now I'm playing a 46* PW, 50* Gap, 54* sand, and a 58* lob wedge. I will occasionally put in a 5 wood depending on what course I'm playing, when that happens I keep the PW and use a 52* and 56*.

• 566 points

I have a tvd 52, tvd 56, and 260.07

• 2661 points

Currently 48, 52, 56, 60 but changes based on course.

•  

payup

I have a tvd 52, tvd 56, and 260.07

I think you are holding that one upside down because i dont think you can get a wedge pass 90* haha

•  

Devin, I like how you are thinking. No real need for more than 3 wedges. 4 means you have a gap someplace else in the bag. ok if you don't need one of the long irons. 5 + wedges is just plain silly! Way to much going on there. Most players can play very well with just 3, provided that they are properly fitted to the player and the normal course conditions.

I am in favor of moving lofts and lies around depending on how conditions change, but even that can be a bit of an issue for the higher handicap player.

Right now ALL of my students are 3 wedge players. The right 3 for thier individual needs. And they range from a +2 to a 25 handicap.

Me, I carry a 48° 712 PW, a 53.08 SM4 and a 59.09 SM4. The 53 and 59 are bent from 52 and 58. This works for the gaps and distances I need to hit my wedges from. I do have a 62.07 SM4 that goes in sometimes when I play in the UK (bunkers are very deep!).

•  

Wheelez3030
    thomas alston iii

Look what RORs just received:

-ICONs for ALL

Those are awesome I wish I could get those for decoration in my golf room Aka my bed room

me too.  i'm looking for some cool clubs to add to the wall of my golf room (which my wonderful wife allows me to use the living room!) i have some hickory shafted clubs i think i'll probably use, but (obviously) those would blow anything out of the water.

•  

PW 46/7, 50/8,54/11,60/4 SM are in my bag now, but I have a 52,56, 58 SM ready incase I get the urge to change the make up.

•  
    48, 52, 56, 60 SM4s
  •  

I've got 50, 55 (56 bent), 60.  My AP1 PW is 45*... 5 deg of separation...

•  

Wheelez3030
    tdogg21

I think that is what I will do

i decided that if i really wanted to dedicate myself to improving, i needed to go back to 14 clubs.  treating every round like a practice/goofing off round will only take you so far.  i'm not looking to be a pro or anything, but i do want to improve my game.  so made the decision to get a little more serious.