Forums

Current state of the game

•  

tdogg21

Dallin

I think a lot of the future depends on reaching out to the general public.  You have the "die hards" that will follow it regardless, but golf needs to reach out more and get more new viewers.  One issue I see is the golf channel, most households in america don't have it.  I consider myself a huge golf fan and I don't even have it.  Unfortunatly, ESPN only seems to show highlights when Tiger is playing or if someone gets a hole in one.  I wish that another cable network would show the Thursday and Friday rounds, so those w/out the golf channel could see some live golf.  More viewers = more cash payouts.

i would agree with that.  but i think NBC doesn't want tournaments on other channels.  they want people like you to call and demand their cable company to pay NBC for the golf channel.

Remember that NBC has public and cable channel ownership.

To sustain the level of purses of today, the Tour will have to have a "Needle Mover" preferably a FJ Tour Player.

-ICONs for ALL

as for ESPN, i also agree but to change that, golf needs someone who moves the needle.  i think Ricky Fowler has the potential to do this.  he goes beyond just the golf community.

•  

Zombi

I think the game needs a couple of superstars to set themselves apart. The game grows the most when there are a couple of guys always at the top. In order for the average consumer to keep coming back they need that Tiger, Phil, or Rory fighting it out at the top. That is when the game grows the most. People need that identifiable to be at the top so they can jump on a band wagon. Now most week's there is no buzz outside of the regular golf audience.

I agree. I think that Rory has that ability to become a global icon.

•  
    I second that Rory statement. You have to see him in person to truly understand how good he is. His shots sound like a rocket ship taking off.

•  

Rory is my favorite player right now, but does he have the star power to move the needle in mainstream america?  playing 'full-time' on the PGA tour is a start, but i'm just not sure.  but i hope so.

and yes, his game is amazing in person.  i have a really cool pic i took of him at the US Open last year.  i'll have to post it.

• 135 points

I believe that the game will grow a lot faster than more people will think. Golf is becoming more popular to the younger population, and also golf is in a state where there is not any single player on tour that is the front runner to win every weekend. I see that as more interesting than seeing one person win all the time. I makes the game for interesting to watch leading to more endorsements.

•  

Welcome aboard 72.  The tour will grow and then money will get bigger.  Pro golfers are greatly underpaid compared to many other sports.  It was only 50 years ago and no one thought tournaments could reach $100,000 for the tournament.  The formula of payout is relatively unchanged in all that time.  

•  

NCBob

Welcome aboard 72.  The tour will grow and then money will get bigger.  Pro golfers are greatly underpaid compared to many other sports.  It was only 50 years ago and no one thought tournaments could reach $100,000 for the tournament.  The formula of payout is relatively unchanged in all that time.  

i don't like that pro golfers are underpaid compared to other sports, but i do like that they have to well in order to win money.

• 3467 points

the game will still grow and thrive. The event purses will still grow a little, but i think they are going to hold just slightly higher than they are now for a while. They probably will not go up significantly for a while. The real question is what is the state of the game with regards to amature golfers. The number of amature golfers hasn't been grown that much. Seems like just as many people leave the game as take the game up.

Maybe 19hole can add some insight, i think he would have his finger on the pulse being a PGA professional.

• 3627 points

The game is in much better shape than it was just a couple years ago (I'm assuming your speaking to the PGA Tour mostly). The Am game is a whole other story with plenty of issues (technology being #1) that the USGA needs to get on.

•  

PatCCraig

The game is in much better shape than it was just a couple years ago (I'm assuming your speaking to the PGA Tour mostly). The Am game is a whole other story with plenty of issues (technology being #1) that the USGA needs to get on.

It will come down to two sets of rules (AM & PRO).

-ICONs for ALL

•  

thomas alston iii

PatCCraig

It will come down to two sets of rules (AM & PRO).

-ICONs for ALL

you might be right, but i'm not sure that's the answer.