Forums

Take a gimme or putt it out?

•  

Don't sweat it Denis - we ALL went through that phase. Have fun, take pleasure in your good shots, keep working at it and your good shots will outnumber the "other" shots.

•  

Denis OConnell
    As a rookie player, I like to putt it out unless I am already past an 8. (yeah, I still get a lot of 8's... :). )

i've been playing all my life and i still get 8s sometimes.  nothing to be ashamed of.

•  

This is how I also approach the game. "Practice Like you Play!" Also, if group hits your ball back to you then, take it and move on. (The putting green at the end of the practice range is always open.)

-ICONs for ALL

•  

depends on who i'm playing with and whether there are any stakes involved.  i play with friends for fun and play in regular skins games that have a bit more intensity...

when with friends it for fun and we will say pick it up or swat the ball back...

in the skins game everything has to reach the bottom of the cup...

• 250 points

I am a high handicapper, and for whatever reason, whether that be pride or whatever it is, i play it out. I guess the best thing about it is that over time it has helped me realise that when you dont over think it... you generally dont make the mistakes that sometimes come with a long, tediouse pre putt routine. I have a buddy that i play with regularly that will literally hit a 5 footer like its a 6 inch tap in... and I havent seen him miss one yet. He just says that it is no big deal, we arent getting payed to play so screw it... just tap it in and move on!

• 3627 points

I'll take the gimme. No need to grind out 2ft putts during a friendly match.

•  

GTJacket8

So, what do you do more times than not...putt it out or take the gimme?

There are few groups I get in and play with, and my regular group of guys in matches is the only game we would pick up when given of if we know we can't better the opponent(s).  Another match group guys I play with invokes a "with in the leather rule" you don't need to ask nor does anyone have to say anything (no worries no one plays a belly putter. . . ha ha ).

When we play for points (9s if there are 3 players, 12 points if there are four), no question. . . if it's a tap in, "tap it in!".

Any way, bout speed, I don't think those guys who said, "If you're gonna miss it, miss it quick." were being funny because if you pick it up, it's certainly even quicker.

•  

noeldaof

GTJacket8

So, what do you do more times than not...putt it out or take the gimme?

There are few groups I get in and play with, and my regular group of guys in matches is the only game we would pick up when given of if we know we can't better the opponent(s).  Another match group guys I play with invokes a "with in the leather rule" you don't need to ask nor does anyone have to say anything (no worries no one plays a belly putter. . . ha ha ).

When we play for points (9s if there are 3 players, 12 points if there are four), no question. . . if it's a tap in, "tap it in!".

Any way, bout speed, I don't think those guys who said, "If you're gonna miss it, miss it quick." were being funny because if you pick it up, it's certainly even quicker.

I totally understand, if it's a friendly have fun and be quick about moving on to the next tee (helps in the pace of play).

That is how recreational golf should be played by all.

-ICONs for ALL

•  

Putt it out

•  

Always putt it out. Rewarding sound of the ball falling in the cup......

• 229 points

putt it out and finish the hole as it is meant to be

•  

Are you playing match play or stroke play.  Giving putts is a strategy in match play.

• 385 points

Finish it out. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and gets me rolling to start the next hole, and it will make them that much easier when you have to finish it out or there is any pressure on the put.

• 2742 points

In our regular game there is NEVER a gimme if the put is for bogey or better. If it is for double bogey or worse and less than a foot we call a gimme and move on.

• 69 points

Putt it out, putting game can always use a little more confidence.