Forums

First Tournament of the Year (sort of)

•  

I am not a major tournament player....not a member of any of the AM tours, not good enough to play most serious tournaments.  I do, however, play in as many of my club's tournaments as I can (we have three courses, and they all host different tournaments periodically with differing formats in addition to a club championship at each course).  This coming weekend is the annual "Ice Breaker" tournament.  They call it that as it's the first tournament of the year and it's set up as a great way to meet new members.  It's a team tournament (two-person teams) and a mixed format.  This means 6 holes will be played as a scramble, 6 holes as a shamble, and 6 holes as 4-ball.  My wife and I have decided to play in it this year (I had to work last year so wasn't able to partake) and we are really looking forward to it.  We both played in the club championships last year and a few other events (including most couples events).  I also play a few other charity-type tournaments (scrambles and/or shambles) typically throughout the year, but that's about it.  So for the rest of you, have you already played in a tournament this year and if so, what type and how did you do?  If you haven't, do you plan to play in any, which ones, and what formats?  What is your favorite type of tournament?  Thought this would make for some interesting discussion.

•  
    Good luck with that ... I hope you do well
  •  

Here the most usual way of playing is stablefor net and gross. I already played this year because our winter isn't so severe as yours and the tournments season started middle of January.

Wish you good luck for your tournment.

•  
    I'm in the middle of planning my groups season kickoff tournament. We usually have about 20 guys in our regular weekend group. Our group plays off a points system and our first tournament will be a two man event. It's a two day tournament with the team with the highest point total over the two days taking the pot. We have a party and draw for the teams the night before the tournament. It's a great event with some good competition.
  •  

I usually get to play in a couple of tournaments each year.  The scrambles are fun, but last year I got to play in a match play tournament and two stroke play ones.  I really liked the match format.  I won my first two matches, but lost to the eventual tournament winner 2&3 the second day. 

Last year was the first time I got to play individual stroke play, and I didn't play as good as I'd hoped.  This year I will play a bit more conservatively.  I would have  won (it was handicapped), if I didn't double the second hole trying to be a hero in out of the woods.  I love playing in tournaments because I tend to play better and take it seriously.  Good luck with your tournaments.

•  

Thanks for the well-wishes, and also for posting your stories.  Memphis, that sounds like a lot of fun.  Good luck to you!  And Josh, sounds like you had a pretty good year last year so here's to improving on that!  Keep 'em coming ya'll.

•  

Played in my clubs Breakfast Scramble which is the men's association first tournament of the year. It was a ABCD scramble with different tees and each player had to use 3 tee shots.  We had a 66 and were 1 shot out of the money.

•  

NCBob

Played in my clubs Breakfast Scramble which is the men's association first tournament of the year. It was a ABCD scramble with different tees and each player had to use 3 tee shots.  We had a 66 and were 1 shot out of the money.

Now that's disappointing...I'd almost rather not be THAT close to the money if I'm not going to win (almost).  Hopefully you at least had a great time.

•  

GTJacket8

NCBob

Now that's disappointing...I'd almost rather not be THAT close to the money if I'm not going to win (almost).  Hopefully you at least had a great time.

Did have a great time, we just couldn't convert. Bogey on first  and last really did us in.  I always want to be in the mix even if I don't win.  I was runner up in two different club championship in two weeks.  The second one I lost in a five hole playoff.  That was tough.

•  

I don't play in very many tournaments, but the ones I have played in are scrambles.  After the first ball lands in the fairway, it is fun to "grip it and rip it."

•  

Bob, that is tough (especially with the playoff loss).  That's cool that you were atleast in position to win though.

Dallin, I agree with you about scrambles.  I enjoy them because it's a VERY casual round of golf (at least for me it is), and like you said, that first ball gets in play and you can just "wail on it!" 

•  

I usually play about one tournament a month with a golf league I belong to.  The League plays net results and has members with handicaps ranging from about 1 to almost 30, and ages from early 30's to late 60's.  We split the group into two flights (A and B) and pay top three in each flight.  At the first one I played this year, I managed to finish 1st in the "A" flight.  First one of the League's event I've managed to win, though I've finished second a couple of times.

My home course also recently (last week) held a season opening tournament for members only.  This was a handicapped 4-person scramble.  The team I played on managed to finish 2nd net; first gross and two low net teams were paid.

I've not yet thought my game was up to more advance tournaments in recent years.  I did play in the Salt Lake City tournament some 35 years ago, but not with the results I'd hoped for.

•  

pulp, thanks for sharing.  The League tournaments sound like fun.  My club rarely handicaps tournaments, but rather they flight it out after play (or prior to the final round for a multi-round tournament).  

•  

So as I my original post states, my wife and I played our first tournament of the year today.  It was a mixed format with two members per team.  Everyone played holes 1-6 as a 4-ball, 7-12 as a shamble, and 13-18 as a scramble.  We had a great time and had great weather.  Got to play golf with some folks at our club we hadn't met before, so that's always nice.  We didn't think we played all that well, but in the end we finished Second Place in our flight!  Worked out well...we won our entry fee back.  AND we got a sweet FJ fleece headband as a tee gift (see pic below), along with food and beverage on the course and afterwards included!  All in all, it was a great day.  

•  

Way to go Andrew!