Forums

10 Years and We Remember

•  

Today the United States reflects the events of September 11, 2001; from New York to Washington D.C., and to the fields of Pennsylvania. It is a day we all know too painfully well, where we were, and for many, the friends we lost. All over the country we remember today those events.

Time is an interesting thing. On September 10, 2001 I was just starting a new job in Stamford, Connecticut. I never wanted to be there, but it was a situation that merely happened of necessity. Frankly, not unlike what thousands of random people would endure across the ensuing weeks. In the days and weeks that came after the 11th, I saw firsthand things that many across NYC and Washington would surely like to forget, but simply can not. So much sadness. As I watch the television memorials this morning all those things come back just like it was yesterday.

Today a full 10 years hence I am back commuting to New York each week. It's ironic that the place I have never wanted to be is the place that continues to come back into my life. No rhym, no reason. It just does. 2 weeks ago I went back to NYC and visited the official memorials at World Trade Center North and South. I visited the museum on the corner and looked at all the exhibits. Like many people in there that day I cried. It was hard.

But today as then, the sun came up on a new day, full of promise and possibility. I think of how time has shaped things in my family's life, and am mindful of all the many blessings that have come over the years. As each of us spends the day today in pursuit of whatever activity we are fortunate to enjoy, take a moment for two things. First, remember what we lost 10 years ago. And as you refelct on that, give thanks for all you you fortunate to have and enjoy today.

Tommorow is but a promise. So live today with enthusiastic happiness and joy.

•  

THANKS RANDY.

IT SOMETIMES SLIPS OUR MINDS THAT WITHOUT ALL THE SACRIFICES OF THOSE BEFORE US WE WOULD NOT BE WHAT AND WHERE WE ARE TODAY. WE SHOULD NEVER FORGET.

THANK GOD AND GOD BLESS AMERCA.

I AM NOW TEARING UP AGAIN FOR THE 100TH TIME THIS MORNING.

• 1563 points

God Bless America.

•  

+1 Randy, DOG.  I have no words.

•  

I have been traveling to NYC my entire career 8-12 times a year. It is amazing how that city has come back from such a terrible event and turned the ground zero site into a beautiful memorial. I have not made it down there yet, but will one of these trips as I think it is a must for me to see. Not sure why I have not made the trip yet to be honest with you. Still seems strange not seeing those towers as the plane cirlcles the city to land at LGA.

As said above, God bless America.

•  

Great story.  I was a Freshman at ISU and just got back from my History class and it was on everyone's tv in the dorms.  We were like what the heck.

My mother-in-law's cousin was Tom Burnett one of the brave people who forced Flight 93 down in Penn.

Pretty emotional watching replays of everything yesterday.

•  

Great post Randy, Like all of you, I never forgot that horrible day.   I can see the NY skyline from my window and not seeing the Towers any longer is a sad reminder.  Looking Southward from the GWB toward the tip of Manhattan just isn't the same.  Before becoming a Tennis  Pro, I worked construction on the Trade Center up to the 57th floor.  

Great reflections by all of you.

Deno 

•  

Thanks for sharing everyone. I was living in Australia back in 2001 but my wife-to-be was still in NYC, working on Wall Street. Her train took her under the World Trade Center and then she walked two blocks from there. Fortunately, she was late for work on 9/11/01 because we had been on the phone until 4am. So instead of being under WTC when it was hit, she was still in the tunnel. When her train backed up to the NJ side, she witnessed the second plane hit and life changed forever. It was interesting to watch the coverage from another corner of the globe but agonizing that I couldn't be back in NY with my girlfriend (now wife) and friends. Truly a day that changed the world.

On a separate note, my brother is currently serving in Afghanistan with the men and women of the 182nd. They should also never be forgotten.

Thanks,

Chris

•  

Chris Garrett! Wow, another account of why we need to be thankful every single day.

And like any of those who have loved ones in harms way, I will hold your family and your brother up in my thoughts and prayers. Inspired...

•  

BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD,,,,,,,,,,,SCARY.

THANKS FOR SHARING CHRIS AND GOD BLESS AND WATCH OVER YOUR BROTHER AND ALL OF OUR TROOPS.

• 3539 points

I happened to be on the phone with a friend of mine who lived in NYC at the time of 9/11attacks...He was looking out of his office window and saw smoke coming from the first tower, by this time local radio stations were reporting what had happened and he said to me " you are not going to believe this...some idiot just flew a plane into the World Trade Center" wondering what was happening, I tuned into the coverage which had become national news very quickly.  We watched the second plane hit the tower, him live and me on CNN. It was an eerie feeling as we both set in silence 600 miles apart knowing that now this was something big. Just talking about it brings back some weird feelings. GOD bless America! 

•  

The WTC had many memories for me as well.  Living in NJ for 7 years, I was in the WTC at least once a week or so.  I knew the Path Train route from Hoboken in my sleep...I remember being in NYC just blocks away in '93 when the first terrorist blew up a car bomb in the parking lot underground.  Several people I know lost friends and family members on that tragic day in 2001 in the attack.  Their lives will never be the same.  I'm sure that it is the same for people who were impacted by the tragedies in DC and PA as well.  They will never be forgotten.

Chris - please thank your brother for his service.  It would be great if he joined the FJC and we could thank him ourselves.  But please tell him we appreciate his service in protecting the US and keeping us safe.

•  

I was in 8th grade, taking my school pictures.  It was the one day we were able to watch TV in the morning and witness the unfortunate history unfold.  I was not personally impacted by 9/11 but my thoughts, prayers and appreciation are with those who were affected or took action afterwards no matter how big or small.

God Bless America!

•  

Oh, and pertaining to CG's post... clearly everything happens for a reason and God has a plan for everyone.  I am sure you are very thankful you talked her ear off and made her late for work! :)

•  
    Chris we all pray for the safety of your brother.