Forums

Iron Hosel Defect

•  

Ok, so I am looking at buying a new set of ZB Titleist irons from a friend.  I take a look at them and on some of them there is like 1mm-4mm of seperation between the black part of the hosel and the metal.  Does anyone know if this can be fixed??? I will send pics in little while, but do you know if this can be fixed???

•  

I used to build my clubs when I was younger so I know a little on the subject.  Hosels and shafts are connected with a strong epoxy.  Iron shafts have generally a .370 parallel tip or .355 taper tip.  I mainly worked with .370 tips; however, many club manufacturers use the .355 or taper shafts.  My guess would be because it is more secure.

As far as the issue you are concerned about, don't be, it happens quite often and most times it simply needs slid back down (more like forced on occasion).  The Ferrule (black part) is there to simply clean up the look of the club.

I have slid the ferrules back with everything from pliers, a 30lb vice, to just bear handing it down.  There is more then one way to skin a cat.  Please do not hurt yourself trying any of these homemade methods.

Also, I would not be slightest bit scared that the head will fly off. 

Hope this helps,

DG

•  

Ok, thank you this helps a lot.  I am still in high school and am just getting into repairing my own clubs(ie. shafts, grips,etc.).  I will try that tonight.  Again, thank you DG.

rkickers9

•  

Rkick... this happens to almost all the wedges I own.  I would not suggest using pliers on the the furrel because it will cause dents and scrapes because it's just a chunk of plastic.  If you do use pliers, make sure you put some sort of buffer between it and the pliers, such as a hand towel or a couple layers of paper towels.

Sometimes, the epoxy just goes ca-poot and sometime the actual base of the furrel breaks and then you just need to push it down more often because it won't stay in place all the time.

Finally, if it really bothers you and they won't stay in, you could take it to a club fitter and they will pull it out and toss in some new ones.

•  

Thanks Em. Yes, my way can be a little reckless I must admit. 

•  

LOL, I just found out the hard way and it annoyed me so much I had to have new furrels put on!  I'm a little high maintenance sometimes!!

•  

The ferrules are more than cosmetic. They help reduce the shear force on the shaft where it enters the clubhead. You should try to get the ferrules back down so they are flush with the clubhead.

If they will not move, you could always heat the joint and remove the shafts, install new ferrules and re-epoxy the shafts. A fair amount of work, but what else is there to do with your clubs in the winter!

•  

Put new grips on them......

•  

Put new paintfill on them.... ;)

•  

Buy new clubs

•  

This happened to a few of my clubs. I took them to Golf Galaxy and the guy in the repair dept. fixed them in about an hour.

•  

Hmm......Speaking of paint fill, I need to finish my project.

Thanks EM!