Forums

Walk or Ride?

• 568 points

Assuming reasonable temps/weather, a course that's not too hilly and not filled with long walks from greens to tees, do you prefer to walk or take a cart?

It seems like walking is gaining popularity these days. Possible reasons: people can save money by walking (where it's allowed); mucho publicity for walking-only courses like Bandon Dunes & Chambers Bay; heightened emphasis on health/fitness...

•  

I walk, unless I'm the guest of someone who rides, or am in a tournament that requires carts. I think walking helps me focus more on my game and not so much on someone else's. Plus, walking in FootJoys is always comfortable!

• 568 points

golfchick

Plus, walking in FootJoys is always comfortable!

Good point!

•  

I love to walk, but alas... I ride. My club (like most) has only carts and no caddy program, so I ride. Too many long walks between tees and greens, and so it's a "motor" for me.

But put a caddy out there and I'd walk!

Funny deal. Last year I played a track in Chicago (Cantigy Golf Club) that has caddies. When I dropped my bag the started told me my bag was too big for their kids to carry! I said WHAT? Plus it was drizzling, so I couldn't leave rain gear behind. I walked to the caddy shack and grabbed the biggest kid I could find and said, "He'll do." The kid almost died out there. Seriously. Where is the training on these youngsters? I have a 9.5 inch staff bag, yet I felt the guy in Caddy Shack..... Jeez.

•  

This year, I walked my first nine holes. I know that doesnt sound like much to you guys, but for me, its a huge accomplishment. Ive had 4 surgeries on my knees in the past 2 1/2 years and for awhile I didnt think I would ever be able to walk without my cane. I developed arthritis in my knees a few years ago and it has gotten dramatically worse over the past 2 years. The only way I can walk is if its only 9 holes, I have my clic gear, and some pain killers handy and low humidity.

•  

90% of the time I walk.  I just need to keep in shape and make sure I keep routine for tournaments.  Bandon Dunes is a little different since they have caddies to carry the bags for you.  Basically it's just a scenic walk!

• 849 points

I walk unless forced to ride. Walking helps my game as well. Gives me time to cool down from a bad shot and prepare for the next one. And my swing feels looser sooner when walking.

The only benefit I've gotten from carts is when its 6:30pm and I want to get in 18 before sundown. Used to do this everyday when I worked at country clubs.

To each his own. At least people are playing golf instead of sitting on the couch.

•  

I'm a walker when I can -  although I use a clicgear push cart when playing my home course, which is rather flat except for the walk to club house.  This way I can "show-off" the latest in FJ Collection.

GO HOKIES

•  

I used to walk all the time. Now, it's the cart. I have a problem with the right foot (broken cartilage) and walking on uneven ground causing severe pain. Wish I could walk.

•  

I love to walk, especially in the fall weather coming up soon. It can be much more relaxing and gives me more opportunity to think about my game....or other things if my game that day has gone wrong.

•  

i like to walk whenever possible.   green to tee treks don't stop me, but if the hills are too steep, then a cart.  i'm also not in any big rush on the course and walking is more relaxing.

•  

If the temp is right (50-65) I don't mind walking 9, but bad knees and 3 (yes 3!) torn ACL's has resulted in ridding being just a more enjoyable experience. I play golf to relax and get away from life, and ridding makes that possible. I walked 18 a few weeks ago and it was crazy hot, the round was my worst of the year!

•  

I love to walk as well and do so as much as possible, 90% on my home course.

However, I do ride one day a week in a local scramble because they don't have caddies on an extremely steep inclined course.

•  

If the situation were optimum, I'd much prefer to walk.  Back issues complicate my being able to do that, so it's carts for me.  Here in southern Texas, it's almost a necessity during the summer due to the temperatures and the high humidity.  That said, eleven years ago, I walked the course in Bahrain and both the temperature and the humidity were far worse.  I applaud all those who walk--or run--the course.  That's the way it ought to be.

Prefer to walk, but with my recent move, I'm noticing there are huge distances between greens and tees here in FL =(