Forums

SHAFT CHANGE

•  

If you were fitted for a Driver, let's say.

Would you try and change the shaft on you club and see if that works or would you give in and just buy the new one?

I ask because when I go for my lessons I plan on taking my Driver and compare it to other ones.  I have tried the TaylorMade R9 460 and it felt better than what I currently have.  So, I want to try them both back to back and see if it's just me.  If I am correct in my feeling then I might just change my shaft.

•  

NOT A GOOD IDEA.  YOUR CURRENT CLUB HEAD AND THE ONE YOU TRY WILL BE TOTALLY DIFFERENT AND KNOWING THE CLUBS YOU HAVE............PUTTING A GOOD SHAFT ON THAT DRIVER HEAD WOULD BE LIKE PUTTING ON A TUXEDO TO CUT THE GRASS..........NOT WELL PUT BUT YOU GET THE IDEA

JUST GET A GOOD DRIVER IF YOU WANT A NEW ONE..........AND YOU CAN ALWAYS FIND A GOOD USED ONE ON EBAY.  JUST MAKE SURE THE ONE YOU BUY HAS THE SAME SPECS AS THE ONE THAT WAS FITTED FOR YOU.

•  

The answer is, it kind of depends....are you talking flex, weight, totally different brands??  Realistically, you WILL be able to tell a weight difference, but not TOO much in the flex department from a feel standpoint.  It's all about getting the flex, kick point, all that good stuff that produce great launch conditions.  Also, if you have a driver that was made in the last year or 2, then you won't find much better technology by upgrading the entire thing, so the shaft only option may make sense.  I'd say go to your local pro, and trust what they tell you about fitting.  There will be more than 1 shaft out there that can get you good launch conditions, and you may decide one feels better than the next, so there you go - decision made!

•  

getting a professional fitting is one of the best things you can do for your game. Fitting a shaft is much more involved than whatever feels right. Its about getting the proper CCMs (not relying on whatever companys A,L,R, or S),achieving the best launch angle, and getting the most consistency available. It is not that pricey and many places allow you to use the cost of the fitting towards getting the proper equipment.

Personally, I build my own clubs, as well as for other people. So changing a shaft is easy for me, but finding the right one before the epoxy sets is so much more fulfilling.

•  

it depends, what driver do you have now? when i took up the game, i had an old driver with a horrible shaft in it. when i started working at golf galaxy, i couldn't afford a new driver so i put a nice ust shaft in it. it helped more than i can even say. it still wasn't amazing, but it was great until i could afford to buy a new driver. the shaft in your driver is the most important thing, but it has to match everything else.

•  

Switching shafts can be just as disasterous as it could be helpful. I agree with everyone that a professional fitting would be best. Given the time of year. You may take the advice of the fitter, then go to one of the Demo days that will be coming up soon. This is a great way of hitting numerous combinations. Most of the demo days representatives witll have clubs that have interchangable shafts so you can adjust from fade to draw as well as changing loft and stiffness. Most of the larger Demo days will have multiple companies represented side by side as well.

•  

I would suggest getting fitted and not just hitting a stock shaft in any driver.  Just ask the pro while you are getting a lesson if he has time to fit you for a shaft.  Even if you don't buy one then and there you at least know your specs.

•  

I DISAGREE REGARDING YOUR COMMENT ON STOCK SHAFTS.  I HAVE USED MANY STOCK SHAFTS OVER THE YEARS WITH GREAT SUCCESS.  AND I THINK COMPANIES ARE PUTTING BETTER SHAFTS IN THEIR CLUBS THAN THEY USED TO. 

I THINK MAYBE PABLO IS THINKING TOO FAST AND TOO MUCH FOR THE LEVEL OF PLAY AND EXPERIENCE. 

I DO THINK THAT THE CLUBS HE CURRENTLY HAS WILL NOT HELP HIS GAME, ESPECIALLY THE WOODS AS I THINK THEY ARE VERY WHIPPY......BUT CHANGING SHAFTS IN HIS WOODS WOULD BE A WASTE OF MONEY.

PABLO.  SPEND A FEW BUCKS WITH A GOOD PROFESSIONAL AT A CLUB AND GET HIS ADVICE!!!!!!!!  SOMEONE WHO CAN WORK WITH YOU AND SIMPLIFY THINGS FOR YOU WILL REALLY HELP.

•  

You can try all the different shafts you want, but as Kelly said, the best bet is to be fitted. I was and it didn't take all that long and it did make a difference. As it turned out, the shaft matched the club I had chosen and the marriage was perfect for me. I may have to, at some time in the future, go to a shaft that has more flex to it to compensate for my decrease in swing speed, but for now the stiff shaft that I use is perfect.

•  

BRUCE

I DO THINK THAT THE CLUBS HE CURRENTLY HAS WILL NOT HELP HIS GAME, ESPECIALLY THE WOODS AS I THINK THEY ARE VERY WHIPPY......BUT CHANGING SHAFTS IN HIS WOODS WOULD BE A WASTE OF MONEY.

Changing shafts will directly effect the "Whippy-ness" of the clubs. You dont have to spend $300.00 to get a good shaft. The V2s or Xcalibur shafts are very good and they are in the 50-75 range. This will feel like a new club after changing it. Fitters will compare a club to a car. The head is the body of the car and the shaft is the engine.

•  

basically, just try several different drivers with several different shafts each. also get a driver fitting from a pga pro. there is a reason why there are so many different shafts, because no two people's swings are alike. stock may work for one person, but be horrible for someone else.