Forums

Cleveland Golf's New CG15 Wedges

•  

Community Members -  One of my regular playing companions showed up today (Sunday) with the new Cleveland CG15 wedges -  has Zip Grooves -  but also has 4 tiny little laser etch lines between each groove. 

I'm don't normally spin the ball a whole lot -  and I realize that course conditions, ball type, and swing can affect spin but these wedges can allowed me to spin the ball -  not a little but a whole lot.  I know these won't be legal for Tour Events (not sure about USGA events) but I was told they will be legal in our state (VSGA) events.

Anyway -  I hit a shot that spun 12 to 14 feet backward - this shot would normally go a foot or so forward for me.  It is  going to be mightly tempting to but  two of these wedges and hold off on my next pair of ICONs.

Have any of you had a chance to hit or experiment with these wedges?  I would like to know (and maybe the community also) about your reactions to this club design.

thanks again,  GO HOKIES

•  

Sounds like the wedges are not going to make the Tour. I'll stick with my Vokeys. I'll know that they are legal and won't be spending money on a chancy set that may not be legal in the long run.

•  

For 99% of us here, the new groove rules really don't matter for awhile. 

Hokies, are you considering moving wedges just because of the spin factor?  What kind of wedges do you currently use?

•  

EMK,  Currently Mizuno Wedges -  their grind is really nice on the bent fairways that I play on.

Just seems like I could be a little more agressive with the extra spin.

GO HOKIES

•  

I too will stick to my Vokeys. The new ones are conforming, which is important to me.

Just one other comment; Sometimes more spin is just more. Remember you need to be able to control the ball and know than it will always spin the amount YOU want it to.

•  

My thoughts exactly 19.  I was going to post that just now.  I'd rather hit it and know it's going to release one foot than have to fire 16 feet past a pin and hope it spins back 14 feet.  Control is the name of the game, the more you have the better off you are. 

•  

19hole

I too will stick to my Vokeys. The new ones are conforming, which is important to me.

Just one other comment; Sometimes more spin is just more. Remember you need to be able to control the ball and know than it will always spin the amount YOU want it to.

I appreciate the comment -  I've always been pretty good with that control.  I think I'll borrow my friend's Cleveland and hit some shots over Thanksgiving and see how the ball reacts.  On my home course, there are a lot of opportunities to hit to middle and bring back to the front.  It is real easly to leave a ball a little short when you get a front pin (we see six front, six middle, and six back in rotation) and then with Dye it becomes tricky to get up & down. 

GO HOKIES

•  

After many a lengthy discussion (some of it heated) with Cleveland people, according to them all wedges are conforming to the current USGA standards -- HOWEVER -- if you press them you will find out that if you want a wedge that will conform to the 2010 Tour specifications than nothing Cleveland has will conform.

You should have been a fly on the wall of my car when I was screaming at this guy who kept avoiding my question about whether the new CG15 conformed and all he wanted to give me was a lecture on whether I understood the new rule...believe me this guy now knows that GOLF is not the only 4 letter word I know.

•  

LOL, mondo... that's why I love the Acushnet family.  They tell you how it is and make sure you know what's conforming and what isn't.

•  

And for that reason is my loyalty to FJ/Acushnet...they will provide you with excellent customer service

•  

ya i agree with hookie