Forums

Young Superstars on tour

•  

I posted this thread on the Tour link but I think this one gets more play.

This year was supposed to be the year of the :Young Guns" on the tour. Anthony Kim, Camilo Villegas, Kevin Na and Jason Day. Instead the talk was about the old timers, Kenny Perry, Stricker, Cink, Woods and Mickelson.

In your opinion,what happened to the young stars on tour this year? I know Kim had an injury but it has supposedly healed mid season. They showed flashes of greatness but couldn't sustain it. Why?

•  

I think it is mental toughness for a whole season. The young ones need it and the seasoned players have it.

They have a week or two of outstanding play, then a month or two of just making the cut.

•  

i think that the media and their view of each of these young guns as being the second coming of tiger and the hype that they put out there has been listened to not only by sports fans, but by the players themselves.  it just may be inflating their ego and confidence to the point that is a danger to their game. 

i really hope it's not the problem though and they settle down and give us the type of competition we all want to see.

too much, too soon often causes burn out.

•  

Similar in nature to the "sophomore" slump, I'm sure it comes down to work ethic and lack of it.  As with the youth nowadays, I'd be willing to bet they didn't  put in the time like the used to in getting to the level that they achieved in getting noticed as the next big thing and are now suffering its consequences.

•  

they cant keep the consistintcy throughout the whole year so they have good weeks and bad weeks but never the same each week

•  

Over hype by the media is the main cause. Hunter Mahan, Sean Ohare, Notah Begay, all had been hyped by the media and none have had super showings. I'll grant you that they have all had flashes of greatness, but sustainability is lacking. I believe it affects their egos and they get so they believe they are invinceable. Time and seasoning are the answer and they may still come thru in the end, but right now they are not making the grade as expected.

•  

won't disagree eagle about media...but what about the possibility that they just don't work as hard as they did to get to that level and just take things for granted???

•  

I don't think it has anything to do with work ethic and taking things for granted.  I know a couple players who play in Nationwide and PGA events (early 20s) and they are always practicing and working to get better.  I think people fail to realize the PGA tour is not an easy accomplishment in and of itself and that being young "superstars" you still have a lot to learn.  They didn't build Rome in a day and I think the young guys still have some learning to do about the game and how to play it. 

Kind of an off-hand remark... generalizing young players into a category of not working hard (being lazy) and taking things for granted (tour or not).

I would say the younger generations on tour work as hard or harder than a lot of the older PGA players.  The younger guys can put in more hours without suffering major consequences the next day and I think most the older individuals can agree with me there.  Everyone is fighting to get to one spot, #1 and I think everyone on the tours work hard no matter who they are, young, middle age and old.

•  

I'm with Mondo - I liken it to a sophomore slump.  Even though they have been on  tour a couple years for the most part, if you consider last year their first big coming out, the expectations just ballooned and it's got to be really tough to handle that kind fo pressure.  I expect they'll be back....just wait.

•  

Was interesting to hear the interview Kim gave after the President's cup. While the year was not a good one he will take a lot from it and be a better player. Think it has to d with work ethic and just being young. I expect Kim to have a great year next year.

•  

I think the "Young Guns" are just that, young. Anthony Kim for example, he did alot of partying during tournaments. I think he now realizes (from his President Cup interview), for him golf is a job, he has to work at it. The "old timers" have to win now.