Forums

Chip & Run

•  

Learned a whole lot in todays lesson on what I had started doing wrong. Just by changing my alignment and keeping the handle forward of the ball and the ball farther back in my stance made one heck of a difference. Wonder what others have learned with the chip &  run procedure. This sure changed my accuracy and control.

•  

Keep most of your weight on your forward foot and have the back of your forward hand go towards the target.

•  

all i know is that for me, using the method you spoke about, is that it work best for me with the 7 iron.  i've tried delofting the wedge for shorter runs but the 7 is still better for me.

•  

beej

all i know is that for me, using the method you spoke about, is that it work best for me with the 7 iron.  i've tried delofting the wedge for shorter runs but the 7 is still better for me.

Beej, whatever iron you use just depends on what you get accustomed to. I began using 3 different  clubs and used them for different distances. Shorter distance 9 irn and longer distance 6 iron. It is all in what you feel comfortable with. I tried all 3 yesterday and again today with good luck using all 3. Eagle

•  

Works great for me with my 52, but am very confident with that club and reach for it whenever I can. Keeping the belt buckel moving helps me rember to not just use my hands.

•  

With a little practice I think that you will find that this shot can be played with almost every club in the bag. I have used it with a hybrid, 3 wood, and almost every iron from the 6 to the sand wedge.

•  

Yesterday I was playing in about 40mph winds and used the 3-wood bump in run more than I have ever used it.  From 70 yards, I was hitting full gap wedges and low 3/4 pitching wedges.  It was ridiculous.   Only good thing was the ball would land on the green and stop dead, so if I could guage my distance well enough, you could fire at every flag and have it sit dead. 

With the 3-wood bump, I usually try to take the ball just off center towards the toe and have it in my normal putting position.  For me, I get more run and can control it better than hitting dead center. 

If you haven't done a 3-wood bump and run, you just grip down a lot (my bottom hand is gripping the shaft of the club) and use a putter swing.  Very easy, and works great on those windy days.

Oh, and I shot an 78, it was brutal.

As for the chip in run, I use any club depending on the lie and how I need the ball to react.  Like 19 said, it can be done with any club but it takes some practice to get distances down.

•  

As you found out in the lesson id say one of the most important things in all short game shots is to keep your hands in front of the club head during the swing.  Hit down on it and dont try to scoop it up, let the club do what its designed to do

•  

Last night on "The Golf Fix", MB stressed that point nickpoz just made, keeping the hands ahead of the club face.  He used Phil's chip in birdie last week as an example.

•  

Saw that, find that show very helpful and have learned many practice tips that have helped my game.

Anyone use a AW vs. a 52*? Currenlty have both and do not see the need for 2 clubs in the bag with only 2* of seperation.