Forums

Titleist Brand Ambassadors On Tour? What does this really mean??

•  

I was going through a slide show on Scotty Cameron.com this morning and in a picture it listed Kevin Na as a Titleist Brand Ambassador....does this title mean that they use only Titleist Brand Products from Head to Toe and Clubs...or something else? 

Just curious...

•  

Basically they have a contract to use their product and endorse their product.  It depends on the contract you sign; to what degree you wear or use their product.  Take the case of Rickie Fowler who recently signed with Titleist/Puma.  For his contract with Titleist, he plays their clubs, uses their bag, and has to have their logo on his hats but uses Puma for everything else.  Then look at Sergio Garcia and his deal with Taylormade/Adidas, he is head to toe Adidas and all TM in the bag.

The long and short of it is they are walking billboards for the company they decide to sign to, they advertise for the companies by showing their product and in return they get free equipment and get paid for their service.

Hope this helps.

•  

Can I sign up for that ??  I want free stuff --- guess I better get practicing so I can join the tour and get the Titleist / FJ stuff I want...or I can keep dreaming and buy all the gear i want.

•  

EMKelly0106
    Basically they have a contract to use their product and endorse their product.  It depends on the contract you sign; to what degree you wear or use their product.  Take the case of Rickie Fowler who recently signed with Titleist/Puma.  For his contract with Titleist, he plays their clubs, uses their bag, and has to have their logo on his hats but uses Puma for everything else.  Then look at Sergio Garcia and his deal with Taylormade/Adidas, he is head to toe Adidas and all TM in the bag.

The long and short of it is they are walking billboards for the company they decide to sign to, they advertise for the companies by showing their product and in return they get free equipment and get paid for their service.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the great explanation. Many don't realize just how that all works.

•  

EMKelly is correct -- the contracts are specific, and each brand hopes to get the best exposure based on the players' ability and popularity. A player may agree to a brand logo on his left chest, collar, sleeve, etc., and may choose another provider for shoes, hat, clubs, ball, etc. It's interesting to see the mix -- though of course we are always looking for the Acushnet/Titleist/FootJoy players!

•  

I think it depends on the specific contracts as well.  Typically, there are some exceptions when it comes to clubs.  Sometimes there is a main club sponsor, but it might be for a specific number of clubs.  For example, Tiger is obviously Nike but uses a Cameron putter.  That's the only exception.  I think you have to see what the contract stipulates to determine what the deal actually means.

•  

memphisunited

I think it depends on the specific contracts as well.  Typically, there are some exceptions when it comes to clubs.  Sometimes there is a main club sponsor, but it might be for a specific number of clubs.  For example, Tiger is obviously Nike but uses a Cameron putter.  That's the only exception.  I think you have to see what the contract stipulates to determine what the deal actually means.

Anyone notice the grip on Tigers putter, looks like a Ping blackout grip?

•  

memphisunited

Tiger is allowed to use whatever clubs he feels are best for his game.  He used the Vokey wedges and Titleist 3 wood until Nike could build him something he liked better.  He even used a TM driver for a tournament or two.  Titleist is another company that allows their players some leeway as far as what can be used.  Stricker is an example of his Odyssey putter and other guys here and there with diff putters or woods.  Then there are some companies like Ping who are a little more strict with what their players use

•  

grumpy830

memphisunited

Anyone notice the grip on Tigers putter, looks like a Ping blackout grip?

I was told he has used that grip from day one, says he really likes it and does not want to change I guess. I am sur eNike does not like it, but what are they goingt to do.

•  

As long as I can remember, Tiger has always used a PING blackout grip.  He used to have the original PING (Golf Pride) Pingman grip and blacked out the lettering with a sharpie, which led PING to make the blackout model.