Forums

Club Storage Tips

•  

This was posted today on the Callaway Golf site, and is from an article in the Sarnia (Canada) Times. Something to consider...

After the last round of the season has come and gone, be sure to take the time to properly pack away your clubs. Barry Wallis, Performance and Education Manager for Callaway Golf, has several useful tips to keep golf equipment organized and in top condition over the winter for a quick start to next year's golf season.

Check for wear and tear

The end of the golf season is the perfect time to examine the state of your equipment. Wallis recommends starting with the grips on your clubs, which are often the first thing to wear out. "Check to see if the grips are shiny or cracked - this is a sign that they need to be replaced, which is something you may want to do over the winter when having your clubs readily available for a game is not as important," says Wallis.

If dirt has made its way into any equipment or accessories, they should be cleaned out before being stored away to prevent any discolouring or performance issues. Make sure there is no dirt on the club face grooves and check the spikes on your golf shoes, cleaning out any dirt and replacing damaged spikes. Wallis recommends storing shoes in a golf shoe bag to keep them protected and organized, such as Callaway's X Series Shoe Caddie.

Clubs should also be closely inspected - and not just for dirt. Check the grooves on your clubs for wear, particularly on wedges: if the grooves are no longer sharp and defined, it may be time to consider investing in another set of clubs. According to Wallis, worn grooves will affect the golf ball's flight and its ability to hold greens. Also check for scratches, dents, and signs of rust on all clubs, wash them down with warm soapy water and dry thoroughly.

"Remember to keep a tally of what needs repair or replacement before next season," says Wallis. "Over winter, keep an eye on the latest developments in golf technology and use your list to stock up on the equipment you need. This will allow you to hit the fairways running the following spring." Winter also allows you plenty of time to have equipment custom-fitted to your particular swing at a facility such as one of Callaway's Performance Centres, which are open year round. Appointments can be booked at a Callaway Golf Performance Centre during the winter months by calling 1-800-387-7000.

Keep it together

When storing your equipment over the winter, Wallis recommends using a golf travel bag to keep everything together and protected. If you don't have a travel bag, Wallis recommends considering one, particularly if you are considering air travel with your clubs over the winter. For instance, Callaway's X Tour Cart Golf Bag Carrier, which comes with wheels, power pull handle and steelhead club protection, offers great organization and security for your clubs whether they are in your basement or an airplane cargo hold.

Location, location, location

Lastly, where you store your clubs is just as important as how you store them. Wallis recommends standing your clubs upright and keeping the bag in a closet or in the basement - never in the garage, as constant changes in temperature and humidity can damage your equipment.

•  

Good article, thanks for posting

•  

These tips are nice.  Sounds like what I do throughout the entire season though.  I always check grips, grooves, clean the face after each shot, check the ferrule to make sure it doesn't crack or come apart from the head... the main things.  I also have a groove tool that I use to sharpen the grooves about once a month, you'd be surprised how much those wear down and lose their "bite" until you sharpen them.

One thing I do during the summer is have the loft, lie, bounce and length checked.  Sometimes they get a little out of order and need some fixing up, so I always have them checked by the clubs fitter during the winter. 

I always have my clubs inside, even during the summer.  I don't risk them in the garage because there is a stronger chance that if I accidentally leave my garage open, someone might come snag some stuff than if I accidentally leave the back door unlocked.  I don't think many people who know you are home will risk trying to enter a home but a garage is a different story.

•  

Grips, wear on face and cleaning the grooves are my final season regimen before putting them away until next season.

Usually if the grips are worn or grooves are dirty these will be things I do all winter long to keep me close to my clubs and the thoughts of hitting the links first chance i get in the spring

•  

I have always checked my clubs after every round and began using a regroove tool last year. It really makes a difference. I hadn't thought about having the loft, lie, and bounce checked, but will see who I can go to in this area to have it checked, Never had it done before so probably need to get it done. Because I am fortunate enough to now golf year round, everything wears out a little sooner so I constantly am changing something, usually grips and gloves. And Kelly is right about leaving clubs in the garage. Several years ago a good friend had his taken from the garage while they were home and it was not discovered until the next day. Which brings me to another point. Always keep a record of what clubs you do have and make sure your insurance company is informed or at least, have the info somewhere safe just in case of loss or theft

•  

Nice post Tarheel,and congrats on Ambassador status.

•  

great article, I don't dtore my clubs in a travel bag over the winter, but I do put them in the basement and put the rain cover from my golf bag over the top. Helps keep them safe from getting dinged and keeps the dust off over the longggggg Wisconsin winter.

EMKelly0106,

What grove sharpening tool do you use? Would liek to invest in one.

•  

I'm not sure if this is true (or if you really care) but I have heard that, if not careful, those tools can take your clubs out of "conformity" with the rules

•  

shaun13

great article, I don't dtore my clubs in a travel bag over the winter, but I do put them in the basement and put the rain cover from my golf bag over the top. Helps keep them safe from getting dinged and keeps the dust off over the longggggg Wisconsin winter.

EMKelly0106,

What grove sharpening tool do you use? Would liek to invest in one.

I use one I bought from golfsmith.com.  Here a link, http://www.golfsmith.com/products/8287/Golfsmith/Deluxe_Scoreline_Regrooving_Tool

• 4710 points

Tar Heel
    This was posted today on the Callaway Golf site, and is from an article in the Sarnia (Canada) Times. Something to consider...

After the last round of the season has come and gone, be sure to take the time to properly pack away your clubs. Barry Wallis, Performance and Education Manager for Callaway Golf, has several useful tips to keep golf equipment organized and in top condition over the winter for a quick start to next year's golf season.

Check for wear and tear

The end of the golf season is the perfect time to examine the state of your equipment. Wallis recommends starting with the grips on your clubs, which are often the first thing to wear out. "Check to see if the grips are shiny or cracked - this is a sign that they need to be replaced, which is something you may want to do over the winter when having your clubs readily available for a game is not as important," says Wallis.

If dirt has made its way into any equipment or accessories, they should be cleaned out before being stored away to prevent any discolouring or performance issues. Make sure there is no dirt on the club face grooves and check the spikes on your golf shoes, cleaning out any dirt and replacing damaged spikes. Wallis recommends storing shoes in a golf shoe bag to keep them protected and organized, such as Callaway's X Series Shoe Caddie.

Clubs should also be closely inspected - and not just for dirt. Check the grooves on your clubs for wear, particularly on wedges: if the grooves are no longer sharp and defined, it may be time to consider investing in another set of clubs. According to Wallis, worn grooves will affect the golf ball's flight and its ability to hold greens. Also check for scratches, dents, and signs of rust on all clubs, wash them down with warm soapy water and dry thoroughly.

"Remember to keep a tally of what needs repair or replacement before next season," says Wallis. "Over winter, keep an eye on the latest developments in golf technology and use your list to stock up on the equipment you need. This will allow you to hit the fairways running the following spring." Winter also allows you plenty of time to have equipment custom-fitted to your particular swing at a facility such as one of Callaway's Performance Centres, which are open year round. Appointments can be booked at a Callaway Golf Performance Centre during the winter months by calling 1-800-387-7000.

Keep it together

When storing your equipment over the winter, Wallis recommends using a golf travel bag to keep everything together and protected. If you don't have a travel bag, Wallis recommends considering one, particularly if you are considering air travel with your clubs over the winter. For instance, Callaway's X Tour Cart Golf Bag Carrier, which comes with wheels, power pull handle and steelhead club protection, offers great organization and security for your clubs whether they are in your basement or an airplane cargo hold.

Location, location, location

Lastly, where you store your clubs is just as important as how you store them. Wallis recommends standing your clubs upright and keeping the bag in a closet or in the basement - never in the garage, as constant changes in temperature and humidity can damage your equipment.

Great article. I had a Make and Mend day over the weekend. Cleaned out my golf closet, did maintence bags, clubs, and repacked my golf bags. I use a King size pillow case over my golf bags to keep the dust off. I used to use a leaf bag but I decided it may hold a bit of moisture in my bags.Unoacked and repacked my golf "locker" bag. Swapped all of the cool weather gear for hot weather gear.

• 1674 points

Thanks for the heads up.

• 627 points

I put a little shot of WD40 or 3in1 oil on a rag and wipe down my clubs after cleaning.  I usually play all through the winter but that little bit of oil makes them easier to wipe off on the course.  Clean clubs stay clean easier.

•  

I wonder why standing up vs. laying down?

•  
    It could be the rake effect, stand on the head and the shaft takes you out with a vigorous follow through. May be it's a space issue, stood up reduces surface area, or perhaps it's OCD? An alternative may be that during the season the clubs acquire luck throughout each round they are played and lying them down causes all the luck to run out. That's what happened to mine once.