Forums

your golf season?

•  

Obviously your location bears a huge effect on your golf season but when do YOU decide to put away the clubs (locally at least)?  For instance, I live in OH and will play through snow as long as there isn't actual snow cover - lots of people I know here consider their golf season's done well before that.

•  

michigan here, if new years day presents itself acceptable, and it has in the past, i'm playin'..

•  

I play all year long. I tend to plan golf trips around an area's off season (meaning little if any tourist). The hotel rates are less and so is the golf and less people on the golf course.

•  

We play here in New England until the first snow. The clubs go to Florida in November with me and they come back here in January. If it is a mild winter we can play on the Cape in Jan / Feb. Our club tries to open in early April, so there is not much of a total off-season.

•  

Good Q here.

I stop playing locally when my club closes. Their rule is to shut down at the first snow. It's a links course so if it's cold, they are open. But if we get a freaky snow in October, they shut down.

I noticed last week that they were starting the "prep work" on the course, triming the long heather and aerating the tee boxes. Getting to be time.

Now when do I shut down? My clubs are 100% ready to travel if I go someplace warm. If I have a business trip to a warm weather locale, I will bring my sticks and have a round. Usually hit Vegas in January and California in March for conferences, so it keeps me on course.

•  

I don't play when the weather gets really poor.  I live in NE so we experience so pretty harsh winters also.  My season runs year long because of indoor practice and the heated bays we hit out of but I don't usually play locally once it gets to below 45 degrees or so.  Won't help my game any to play in those conditions, would rather practice at that point.  Get ready for next summer.

•  

Cleanfan, see my reply on your season wrapping up

•  

Mr. Clean... I'll share a funny tale.

I lived in Chapel Hill North Carolina a couple years. The club I belonged to was open all year, as were most down there. For those 2 years I played every week unless they closed the course due to snow or frozen condditions. I was coming from Chicago, so a 5o degree day to me, combined with that clear, bright blue southern sky was just perfect! The hoot was this.

Those old boy members would come to the club and sit in the men's grill and play cards all day. They'd sit down there and smoke cigars and play cards and watch football on TV and tell lies all day long. I'd come out of the locker room with my DryJoy pants on and a DryJoys pull over with stocking hat on and hit the course. They all thought it was so funny. They would say, "There goes that crazy yankee again. Doesn't know when to come out of the cold."

When I'd finish they crack up again and ask my why I played when it was "so freezing outside?"

•  

I live in the Bronx, NY. My course stays open all year, if there is no snow on the ground. I play if it's above freezing. 

•  

Usually my clubs get put away after the first snowfall and get put back in car around January/February to start hitting balls in a dome...

I will however  keep playing if there is no snow on the ground...

•  

I live in Louisville Kentucky.  My course never closes for the season so whenever we get a good day in the winter ill sneak out for a few.

•  

I golf with some guys that will play even if it is below freezing...I've done it a few times and as long as its not windy, its not really that bad...

Its tough though when the greens start freezing up, you have to learn how to play "links" style golf than...

•  

Albany N.Y. here,like most I put them away when either the course closes,or the snow flies.