Forums

Please tell me golf etiquette exists!

• 5130 points

If a repeat offender and no apologies, I look for the nearest lake and take aim with their ball.

• 1750 points

Another sad part of the etiquette piece is I have had many a golf ball stolen on the course from people that you can see from the tee are looking for a ball on the wrong hole and are dangerously close to where you should have ended up.  You get down there and your ball is missing in action and I have even asked groups before when you could see someone bend down to pick up a ball but they say they didn't see anything.  Pretty sad as well.

•  

Definitely not the behavior of a true player.....What goes around comes back around two fold.....However do like Bob's stomp maneuver and will have to try it out when the time is right !

• 474 points

ChuckZ it does exist, but is rare I'm afraid! Seems like the 'class' in the game of golf is dying and it's really unfortunate. Too bad some people have to be like that. I'm still going to enjoy the game!!

•  

Had the opposite yesterday.  A twosome in front of us, no one in front of them.  We waited every shot.  2 hours and 15 minutes to play 9 holes.  They new we were back there.  It started to rain as we stood on the last hole fairway.  We were soaked by the time they putted out.  They took off as soon as they got in.  Had to let the pro shop know.

• 1750 points

stratotone
    ChuckZ it does exist, but is rare I'm afraid! Seems like the 'class' in the game of golf is dying and it's really unfortunate. Too bad some people have to be like that. I'm still going to enjoy the game!!

I agree Stratotone!!!  I think that goes for everywhere and especially on the golf course.  How many times do you expect to get cut off on the way to work in the morning?  People pull out in front of people just to quickly turn in front of them....  Such an inconsiderate move.  

• 474 points

I agree 100%!! Be careful out there!

•  

You know, the men's league, is supposed to be a gentleman's league, but since I have joined them, I can say that most of them are great guys.  But, a small percentage stretch the truth and their scores, have limited respect for the game of golf or others playing in the league.  Funny I was playing with a group one day, when my regular group was out, and a really high handicapper was in the sandtrap and grounded his club at least three times, missed the ball and finally hit it.  We play a modified stapleford format points system and I was keeping score and asked him what he had and he said a par and I said I believe you need to count again.  You had at least four strokes in the trap and he said: oh, you are one of those that counts all the strokes, remind me not to play with you again.....I never laughed so hard and preceded to give him a zero for the hole........and we never played together again and I have not seen him back again......golf should be fun and should keep the playing field on the same level.........we owe it to the game to be fair.......but there are a few scoundrels and scalawags still around......of course we can always use a good laugh during a round such as that, making the 4.5 hour round a little easier to absorb........NOT  

•  
    Chuck, great example, another reason I have stopped playing since the last FJAI. I'm over the lack of respect on the course, for the course and anything about the game... 6 hour rounds really unfortunate.
    It's good to see that members on this board are true ladies and gentlemen of the game!
  •  

I understand six hour rounds, Paul.  I resigned from playing with our club in our monthly interclub matches after our June matches.  The Charleston Interclub League Board of Directors just refuses to do anything about the six hour rounds and a lot of lower handicappers are dropping out of the league for that reason and it just becomes too stressful and no longer fun.  A lot of the teams are having a problem fielding a full team because of the slow play.  We have thirteen teams and play a different course each month and ten members on each team.  Just too many people on the course with different levels of handicaps.   Sorry that golf is not longer a part of your interests.......cheers  

•  

A few weeks ago was playing with my usual group.  We were on a Par 4 downhill where on the tee you could not see players down in the gully.  There was a twosome behind us who had been behind us all day.  Had they any brains they would have known we were in the gully because we were not on the green which you could see from the tee.  Well just as my partner was ready to hit here comes a ball from the tee which nearly hits us.  So my partner walks back upo\ the hill with a white tower and waves it at the 2 guys in surrender fashion.  They acknowledge him and he goes back to hitting his ball.  Then another ball comes whizzing by us from the tee.  That did it for me.  I grabbed both balls and threw them into a water hazard near the fairway.  They could not see me do that because we were down in the gully.  We played on and when we got to the green we could see these 2 dufusses looking for their balls and getting p.o.'d.  Needless to say they did not hit into us again.

•  

In interest of good etiquette never throw balls into the hazard or hit them away. I have always found it works best to put the balls in your bag.

• 415 points

BRUCE, I would have done the same thing...EVEN if they had a clear view of me! That would definitely let them know never to hit up on you again. I have no problem waving a group ahead of me especially if the delay is caused by my groups slow play or constantly looking for balls in rough/hazards. I don't spend 5 minutes looking for a ball. If its not within 20 yards of where I had it positioned then I drop and swing. I'm not pro-violence/confrontation, however I am most certainly pro COMMOM SENSE! If someone is so callous to ignore their common sense and decency then I have no problem giving them a little nudge.  '- )  For the record, I was raised  Catholic but practice more of a modified Buddhism. Therefore, actions have consequences and we should all respect each other...especially when you gave them the benefit of the doubt by waving a towel and not being upset, the first time. GOOD FOR YOU!

Namaste Fellow Golfers and remember, We're playing golf for enjoyment, not for a living...Relax, Enjoy the weather/nature/friends however be safe.

• 486 points

Some people never have it and will never get it.  I used to be a member of a country club that was originally built in the 1930's.  It is only a nine hole track, with most of the par fours being around the 320 yards.  There were a couple of guys that could fly their tee shots into the the downhill par fours.  Knowing that they could reach these greens on the fly, they would continually tee off with people in plain sight hoping that the group on the green would let them play through.  Usually, the group on the green would get mad and say something to the director of golf.  These guys received numerous letters from the board of directors and even lost playing privileges for a month at a time.  As soon as their privileges were reinstated, they would be right back to their antics.  The club would not totally ban them because it struggled for memberships.  Truly sad.