Forums

Adams Golf closes Plano, TX operations, lays off 15% of global work force

•  

TNT009
    Ooh well, TM flooding the market... How far can technology really go to get you that extra 15 yards?

I see you play the 913......are you considering the 915?

•  

Given TaylorMade owns Adams, combining plants makes sense, but especially since the club market is down and will stay down. Hence, this looks like a company specific move that is also a "canary in the coal mine".

• 5202 points

Tar Heel
    Pistol

This is part of the new economy isn't it? Why are two "headquarters" necessary for companies that are a few states away from one another. For me really, this is neither surprising or a revelation. Happens all the time after an acquisition, especially one where the two companies are essentially the same, with equipment being at the core of their business plan.

Now it would have really been news if TMaG decided to move from California, a very expensive business state, to Texas, with a more business friendly posture. That would be eye popping and a big deal.

No canaries here. Golf has issues and again, TMaG is in the middle of it. Some of you may or may not remember the days when they were burying clubs in the ground (urban legend or fact?) because they had so much inventory and no place to sell it (1990's).

Why more companies have not relocated their headquarters to Texas is a mystery to me.

In all fairness it is hard to beat California weather and coastline.

• 1759 points

TNT009
    Ooh well, TM flooding the market... How far can technology really go to get you that extra 15 yards?

Ya the consumers need to stop worrying about the 15 yards and start trying to worry about hitting the ball straight!!!

•  

I know the entire hardgoods sporting goods market has been soft...This move by Adams may be partially to economic conditions as well as now with the TM merger they also may be cutting costs in overlapping areas. IMHO

•  

19hole
    Funny....Titleist / FootJoy doesn't seem to have these issues. Must be the quality products they offer and reasonable cycle times betwwen club designs. Two year club cycles seem to work well for them, unlike some that introduce the latest and greatest thing every 6 months.

I'm not surprised by the decision at all.  It's sad for the employees, but like Rick alluded to, TMaG's business model was unsustainable.  How much innovation can you really expect in 26 weeks?  When your equipment cycles are so short your products don't create the "wow" factor (also known as demand), plus consumers will surely be irritated that their new toy is now obsolete before it's even broken in.

•  

Another case in point -- the chev brand is coming out with yet another new iron series Sept. 12

• 5255 points

golfchick
    Another case in point -- the chev brand is coming out with yet another new iron series Sept. 12

Indeed - How many average golf enthusiasts will drop $1000 or so on a new set of irons more than once every couple of years?? Granted, the swoosh guys have a winning thoroughbred lighting up the scoreboards and that might inspire a few to buy what the champ has, but these are too expensive an item to "scratch the itch" as often as some of these product cycles occur...

•  

MarkWDallasTx
    Tar HeelPistol

This is part of the new economy isn't it? Why are two "headquarters" necessary for companies that are a few states away from one another. For me really, this is neither surprising or a revelation. Happens all the time after an acquisition, especially one where the two companies are essentially the same, with equipment being at the core of their business plan.

Now it would have really been news if TMaG decided to move from California, a very expensive business state, to Texas, with a more business friendly posture. That would be eye popping and a big deal.

No canaries here. Golf has issues and again, TMaG is in the middle of it. Some of you may or may not remember the days when they were burying clubs in the ground (urban legend or fact?) because they had so much inventory and no place to sell it (1990's).

Why more companies have not relocated their headquarters to Texas is a mystery to me.

In all fairness it is hard to beat California weather and coastline.

,,,WHEN IT'S NOT MOVING AROUND,,ON FIRE,,FLOODING OR EARTH SLIDES,,,,EXCEPT FOR TAXES,REGULATIONS,COST OF LIVING,,,,,,,SHOULD I GO ON ????LOL !!!

•  

Basically just part of the norm in Today's Business Economy....Consolidation & Downsizing...