Forums

714 Fitting -- Finally Got to Hit Them...Wow. Arguments for/against combo sets?

•  

Hi all,

I'm finally ready to upgrade my 30 year old irons and hit the 714 MB and CB today. Absolutely loved them.  The fitting centre only has the 6I loft so that's what I hit. One thing was certainly clear: the DG x100 shaft suits me bestY ) ***flight, weight). The harder part was the head. Early in the session I hit the CB better but once I was warmed up and firing the MB's were great.  I am considering a mixed set of CB 3,4,5,6 MB 7,8,9,P. I've been playing old Hogan blades (Apex Grinds) for quite sometime and feel pretty comfortable with the blades but would like the comfort of having that extra forgiveness in the longer irons.

From re-reading the posts: i see that DG and 19thH both play mixed sets. Anyone else?  Did you change the lofts a little to properly to gap the yardages between the sets? Any reasons not to go mixed? Would you recommend a different mix (e.g. go to a CB from 5 down instead)?

Please help me decide FJC :) 

•  

miniwarmth
    Hi all,

I'm finally ready to upgrade my 30 year old irons and hit the 714 MB and CB today. Absolutely loved them.  The fitting centre only has the 6I loft so that's what I hit. One thing was certainly clear: the DG x100 shaft suits me bestY ) ***flight, weight). The harder part was the head. Early in the session I hit the CB better but once I was warmed up and firing the MB's were great.  I am considering a mixed set of CB 3,4,5,6 MB 7,8,9,P. I've been playing old Hogan blades (Apex Grinds) for quite sometime and feel pretty comfortable with the blades but would like the comfort of having that extra forgiveness in the longer irons.

From re-reading the posts: i see that DG and 19thH both play mixed sets. Anyone else?  Did you change the lofts a little to properly to gap the yardages between the sets? Any reasons not to go mixed? Would you recommend a different mix (e.g. go to a CB from 5 down instead)?

Please help me decide FJC :)

Massive fan of a combo set, been playing that set make up since my days in college.  I would only suggest it for very solid ball strikers, many tour players won't go near blades.

•  

Can't think of any reason not to mix the set. I made no adjustments between the sets for loft or lie. All of my yardage gaps are consistant so I don't think that adjustments are needed.

•  
    Thanks! Did either of you, or others who customised their sets, skip the 714 PW and get a Vokey wedge instead?
  •  

miniwarmth
    Thanks! Did either of you, or others who customised their sets, skip the 714 PW and get a Vokey wedge instead?

I'm actually quite intrigued by this idea. I was checking out what the tour pros do and guess  what -- a large number of them, in the Titleist family, use the 3-9 of their AP's, MB's, CB's and then go to the Vokey line.  I just can't find someone with an 714MB PW near me to compare with a 48 Vokey and no reviews/comparison of grooves, launch, either.

•  

The Vokey will have a bit more bounce, it will be a slightly different shape too. For most of us, the added expense of the Vokey doesn't provide a lot of cost benefit. The Vokey will not last nearly as long as the standard wedge. I change my irons with every club iteration from Titleist, but I change my Vokey TVDs a least twice a year.

• 333 points

It seems that there is a lot of fans of mix and match out there, I guess it's the thing to do from a playability aspect. I'm sure it would give me too many things to think about in not enough time to make a good decision but if it works for you do it and enjoy your day on the course.I'm sure those who play for a living look at it in a way that the miss won't cost them but the pure shots still produce results.