Forums

One of the most interesting British Open Champions - Tony Lema

• 5452 points

Here is a link to a  great article from Golf World magazine about one of the more colorful golfers to ever win the Open Championship, Tony Lema.

Who is your favorite winner?

http://www.golfdigest.com/golfworld/2014-07/gwar-voices-fields-tony-lema-british-open-win-0709

•  

Modern day it's Phil, since no one thought he had the game to win The Open.

In the past, I go with Gary Player. What an ambassador for the game and a guy who traveled the world to play golf anywhere he could.

I also throw Darren Clarke in the mix. Who can forget his emotional win on 2011 just weeks after his wife lost her battle to *** cancer. Such a wonderful win!

• 5983 points

Thanks for sharing. I know the area and course where his plane crashed (Lansing, IL) -- not too far from where I grew up. Sad when things line this happen (Holly, Valens, Denver, Lema, Stewart).

•  

Tom Watson!

•  

Champagne Tony Lema a man who knew how to enjoy the good life. Professional Golf was simpler back then but obviously more fun. Notice the extra tan face. Golf hats and caps were rare back then. Product placement ads had not been invented.

•  

Bruce, that's a wonderful photo. I was not a golfer back then, but do remember the style, elegance, and panache of many of the greats like Tony Lema. Look at that ensemble will you. Simple, yet totally pulled together in the days well before stylists and "people" to make sure all the right products/brands were visible.

+1

•  

It was stated after the plane crash the Nuns at the Poor Clares Convent in Oakland noticed the envelopes stuffed with cash stopped coming. They had no idea their benefactor was Tony until after his death.

•  

Thanks for sharing that Pete. The Open coverage today also had a nice piece on Champagne Tony Lema. He's one of the many I never got to watch play, but wish I could have.

• 5452 points

Indeed - the sartorial spendor of past generations has dimmed somewhat in this age of SpngeBob pants and other , er, interesting creations deemed as "stylish". Byt as my Mom used to say, "It will all come back in style one day"...I certainly hope so!

• 6 points

When I was a kid tony Lena was featured on the cover f golf digest with Palmer, Player and Nicklaus; as the modern big 4 in golf. He was that big a name. I am sorry that he is forgotten. He reminds me when the game was fun and TV golf announcers were respectful and knowledgable.