Forums

Which Titleist golf ball has the most distance?

•  

I'm an X guy whether regular play or scramble play...there's more than enough distance in the X for the Dhali Llama in each of us...

• 539 points

Mondo
    I'm an X guy whether regular play or scramble play...there's more than enough distance in the X for the Dhali Llama in each of us...

Big Hitter the Llama

• 1872 points

Devin_Gmitter
    My love for the ProV1 goes back to when the dimple count was 392 (Prov1) vs 332 (Prov1x), I couldn't stand looking at the bigger dimples of the X when standing over a putt.  I am very aware that is an odd reason to use one vs the other but it makes sense to me!  On the other hand there is one LPGA Tour player who uses the ProV1 for the same reason.

Now the dimples are much more similar and I often switch back and forth between the two.  Distance gain or loss is negligible when switching back and forth, sometimes I just want to look at something new. I did notice during my last round that I could flight the X a little better into the wind.

Devin I agree they are both very similar playing balls now and I play either ball now depending on my mood and have actually been playing more ProV1 this year and haven't noticed a major loss in distance.  The only time I really notice the difference is short game area where obviously ProV1 takes the cake there.  

• 1872 points

MarkWDallasTx
    I think the Prov1x gives me the best distance. I tried the Velocity the distance was about the same. I generate less sidespin with the Velocity. On days when I am not hitting the ball squarely and losing more than my usual 1-2 per round I swap to Velocity or NXT. It takes away from my enjoyment to lose 4-5 Prov1s in a round.

Hey Mark, ya the lack of sidespin in the Velocity is what intrigues me about using something like that in a scramble format.  The lack of sidespin should lower the chance of hitting it poorly when you try to crank up the RPM's plus the lower price tag lessens the blow when you try to hit the hero drive and lose a ProV1x each time.  

• 1872 points

ChuckZ
    DB9BoilersChuckZVelocity is a pretty long ball, and get about the same distance as the ProV1.........I used the Velocity some this winter and it seemed to go a long way.......bought a dozen pretty cheap at Wallyworld.......

Thanks Chuck, ya I may do the sleeve if I see one around but don't think I'll get through a whole dozen of Velocity's.  The inner "tinkerer" in me is always pulling at me though!!  haha

I have hit some of the so called long hard balls and you know, the Provs go just as far as those hard balls.......like I said earlier, I tried the Velocity and did not get any distance over my Prov1..........if you will notice the pros are bombing those provs 300+ on the tour........like Bob said hit you normal ball with your normal swing and you will be ok and have fun........the A player on your team will be bombing anyhow, unless you are the A player.......good luck and again, have fun.......  :-)

I also agree with Bob, Chuck.  For example last year at our event by playing my normal game I caught a couple big drives early.  By the end of the day my teammates were trying to pump me up to blast it and I started to lose my rhythm.  My drives were long but my overall swing suffered and took us out of the running in the end.  I'm not always the A player on the team but do enjoy playing in the 4 hole where I am forced to focus and execute a shot.  I play a lot of leisurely golf nowadays and it is sometime hard to stay focused when you are playing with friends that are just excited not to be working.  ha.  I guess you could say going back to playing other sports as well growing up I enjoy the ball in my hands at crunch time so to speak.  

• 1545 points

I played yesterday with 2 balls, ProV1 and ProV1x.  The ProV1x was a longer and better control..  So IMO, ProV1x has a longer carry..  Which stinks b/c i have 5 dozens of ProV1's sitting at the house...    

•  

Chris H.
    I played yesterday with 2 balls, ProV1 and ProV1x.  The ProV1x was a longer and better control..  So IMO, ProV1x has a longer carry..  Which stinks b/c i have 5 dozens of ProV1's sitting at the house...

Ship them to me, because I keep up with my buddy who plays Prov1xs.......it's all in the launcher.......if you take them to where you play they probably will trade with you, if you know someone in the shop, if they are this years model or to speciality store where you normally shop.........all you have to do is ask....some stores are good about swapping out.....have you been fitted by Titleist to see which ball is right for you?  

• 5336 points

Which Titleist ball has the most distance? The one you hit the hardest with the highest swing speed! At my swing speed, the ProV1 works as well as any!!

• 1872 points

Chris H.

Ya Chris on a windy day I prefer the penetrating ball flight of the X but like Chuck said on a nice summer day I am not complaining how the ProV1 performs.  

• 5510 points

DB9Boilers
    MarkWDallasTxI think the Prov1x gives me the best distance. I tried the Velocity the distance was about the same. I generate less sidespin with the Velocity. On days when I am not hitting the ball squarely and losing more than my usual 1-2 per round I swap to Velocity or NXT. It takes away from my enjoyment to lose 4-5 Prov1s in a round.

Hey Mark, ya the lack of sidespin in the Velocity is what intrigues me about using something like that in a scramble format.  The lack of sidespin should lower the chance of hitting it poorly when you try to crank up the RPM's plus the lower price tag lessens the blow when you try to hit the hero drive and lose a ProV1x each time.

Yup. I am not getting to play much this year. My sons baseball schedule is taking precedent. I like the NXT Tour S in the Optic Green color. I think that I loss distance with a well struck NXT or Velocity over a Prov1x, but with a poorly struck ball my misses are magnified with a Prov1x.

• 1000 points

I noticed during MY last round that I was pretty good at flighting the X O.B. 5 times good. It was that kind of day.
    • 1545 points

Sorry about the late reply.   I did think about swapping them out at the Pro shop but the only problem is all 5 dozens are specially marked.  Not sure they'll accept those.  But I'll continue playing with them until I run out..  You are VERY correct, it's all in the launcher.  I will say around the greens, it performs better than the 1x..  It's tough...  

I only get to play once a week, if that and when i do play it's with a ProV.  

I am keeping an eye out on the ball fitting from Titleist to see when they'll be in my area.  I've been curious about that.  

• 1012 points

I had a titleist rep tell me that there is only 5 yds difference between ANY titlest ball. the difference is spin with ProV1 being the most. So actually the 1x would probably be the longer of the 2

• 1872 points

lm14134
    I had a titleist rep tell me that there is only 5 yds difference between ANY titlest ball. the difference is spin with ProV1 being the most. So actually the 1x would probably be the longer of the 2

lm14134, thanks for the info.  I am a guy that sticks with the ProV series when I play my rounds.  I know some of the lesser brands of golf balls that market for the average player and average swing speed typically have less spin which would be ideal for the drives during a scramble.  In the end, you have to just hit the ball but the thrill of getting that extra edge is what makes us all tick sometimes!!!

•  

lm14134

And sometimes it has to do with the indian and not the arrow.....some say.......