Forums

Sun Protection -- Best Practices

•  

Don't play in Colorado...  I put on screen three times and still got cooked!  I forgot how much closer they are to the old yellow ball.

Usually I put some spray on before I leave the house, and then again at the turn.  I also wear a hat or a visor.  Since my mop is a little thin these days, I give the old scalp a quick spray if I'm rocking the visor.  Two applications and I've never had a problem out here in the East.

• 2712 points

Several years ago my dermatologist warned me that  one of the most common areas for skin cancer  is the ears. Most people don't think about it but the ears get more sun exposure that  most other parts of the body. I wear a Tilley bucket hat (and SPF 45) whenever  I am playing in sunny weather and the rest of the time I wear a baseball cap to cover  my bald head. I already hasd a basal cell on my nose so I try to be cautious when it comes to sun damage.

• 1272 points

Ya good ol' muni golf 6 hours is about right.  Hit and you could sit and read a book.  Ha.  

• 4922 points

Came upon this hat thread from the archives. Did some research on the web and the Aussie Chiller hat seems to be quite good.

I am still surprised at how few people wear arm sleeves (sometimes me included).

•  

I have recently started wearing one of the arm sleeves and actually find it quite comfortable for golf and running. If the material is right, it actually cools your skin even on the hottest days. The one I use, recommended by some top-notch docs, is from Coolibar (http://www.coolibar.com/). There are obviously plenty to choose from but this one is comfortable for golf - not too restricting, breathable and full sun protection.

Don't wait for your first scare - take it from the Aussies and Slip, Slop, Slap!

http://youtu.be/tGgn5nwYtj0

•  

DB9Boilers
    Ya good ol' muni golf 6 hours is about right.  Hit and you could sit and read a book.  Ha.

I belong at a good ole' muni....they do a good job with the money the city allocates maintaining the course.....a six hour round will get you invited off the course at our course......posted on cart, expected pace of play 4 hours 15 minutes and the rangers will approach you if you are holding up play and are down a hole......average rounds played per year, 65,000, so they greens do run slower than most courses or they would die out......

•  

I can never emphasize SUNGLASSES enough.  I have had to a pterygium removed from left eye 3 times and facing a surgery on my right this fall.  A pterygium is a growth on the eye caused by overexposure to the sun.  It gets in your cornea and alters your vision drastically.  Believe the surgery is not fun.

• 2712 points

As much as I don't like the appearance ,a bucket hat is always on my head on sunny days. Ears are when of the most sun exposed body parts.

Even though many experts say there is no advantage to use sunscreen with a rating greater than SPF 30 I always use at least SPF 45 and at the beginning of the season  or brutally hot days I go to SPF 70.

• 4180 points

I hate to say that I'm fairly lax on the skin protection.  I do sunscreen my ears and nose usually.  I wear a normal ball cap.

That's about it.  I should hit up my arms / legs and neck too.  I just never do.  This thread put the appropriate thought back in my head that I need to be far more diligent!  I'm glad it was resurrected!

•  

I'll be honest....I don't really do anything from a protection standpoint...some days maybe a hat or visor, most days nothing...being of italian/lebanese descent I don't have to worry too much about sunburn...

I do make sure my kids are protected however when we're out on the course...usually 50 spf for them...

• 4922 points

[quote user="being of italian/lebanese descent I don't have to worry too much about sunburn...

[/quote]

Mondo, hate to say it but that's not enough. A darker complexion may help from easy burning but you can still do some pretty severe skin damage. Definitely apply sunscreen!

• 5037 points

Mondo
    I'll be honest....I don't really do anything from a protection standpoint...some days maybe a hat or visor, most days nothing...being of italian/lebanese descent I don't have to worry too much about sunburn...

I do make sure my kids are protected however when we're out on the course...usually 50 spf for them...

Mondo, The real reason to keep yourself covered in sunscreen is not to avoid sunburn, but to prevent skin cancer. UV rays are equal opportunity destroyers, attacking an affecting everyone regardless of skin complexion. Be prudent,make your sunscreen manufacturers smile, and apply!  Ask a dermatologist or Google risks of skin cancer...