Forums

Payne Stewart Documentary

•  

Don't miss this -- A new documentary on Payne Stewart will air at 5 p.m. ET on Sunday, June 8, and again on Golf Channel at 10 p.m. ET Monday, June 9. One of the best people to ever play on the PGA Tour. He is missed. 

http://www.golfchannel.com/tv/payne-stewart/ 

Jason Sobel also posted this story about Mike Hicks, Payne's caddie. Turns out he had never seen the classic final round of the 1999 U.S. Open. 

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/jason-sobel/stewarts-former-caddie-finally-reflects-99-win/?cid=facebook-gc-a-stewarts-caddie-060314

•  

Thank you GC.  This would be nice to see.

• 4690 points

I saw an early advertisement for this and am looking forward to it!

•  

Saw the trailer for this last night while I was watching GC on TV. I am quite looking forward to the show.

•  

I always liked Payne and I this show will pretty good.

My favorite story is one where he bet a guy he was the US Open Champion and the guy would not believe him. He bet the guy a guy a  couple of bottles of Cristal. He goes and grabs the trophy to prove it, Then  fills it with the champagne he won.

•  

I always liked Payne and I think this  show will pretty good.

My favorite story is one where he bet a guy he was the US Open Champion and the guy would not believe him. He bet the guy a guy a  couple of bottles of Cristal. He goes and grabs the trophy to prove it, Then  fills it with the champagne he won.

•  

I just spent the past few minutes reading this article and reflecting on the comments from Mike Hicks and the entirety of the Open that year and the crossover to my own golf journey.

I started playing golf in 1996. Got hooked because of a bet and haven't looked back since. My two favorite golfers then; Greg Norman and Payne Stewart, were such as much for their golf skills as for their fashion focus. Norman with Reebok and Stewart with his Plus Fours and fledgling Payne Stewart brand at better department stores Like Marshall Fields in Chicago. (Never did find out who was the manufacturer behind the line since it went away after Payne's death).

The article here talks about how Stewart and Hicks played a round at Hicks home course, Mill Creek Golf Club in Mebane North Carolina. When I moved to NC in late 1999, I often went to Mill Creek and remember the talk about that round and saw pictures on the clubhouse walls. It was a sporty little public neighborhood course, nothing fancy. Mebane was a small factory town next to Burlington, where fabrics used to be made into towels and bedding from the local cotton farms. Mill Creek is a working mans course in that regards, a short drive in off of Interstate 40.

This piece brought me back to all of that, and to those times. Interesting in how we remember things and what jogs those memories....

•  

I set the DVR last week so I wouldn't miss it.  I was always a Payne Stewart fan and have enjoyed the many stories players have told about him over the years.

•  

There is a great article in this weeks SI Golf+ on the 1999 US Open. If can can get your hands on it, I would recommend reading.

• 2129 points

Any thing about Payne interests me.