Forums

Music to practice

• 2243 points

How many of you listen to music while you're at the range?  I'm planning on giving this a try as I see a lot of people doing it.

I've noticed that if I start hitting a couple of bad shots, I kind of start this death spiral where I just keep hitting balls faster and faster trying to get out of it, all the while thinking about the adjustments I need to make.

My though was that with a little music, it's a mental distraction and I won't focus on my swing so much and just relax and hit the ball.

•  

I play a metronome while putting,  but everything its Smooth Jazz!

• 2243 points

TNT009
    I play a metronome while putting,  but everything its Smooth Jazz!

Ha!  Sometimes I hear the voice of George Costanza in the back of my head like he's commenting on my swing being like a "full body dry heave."

• 4586 points

On occasion I will.  Many times I'll do as TNT mentions and find a metronome app.  It helps me get my tempo in check when I start getting too fast.

•  

Pandora radio, I listen to it a short while.

Sometimes, I just have the plugs without music so I can block any sound from the busy range.

The metronome is a great idea, Todd!

• 1720 points

I like to hear music while practicing.  Helps block outside distractions so I can concentrate on what I am working.  I find it also helps me stay in rhythm in my swing.  And I have also just put in earplugs to block the noise from others as well.  And there are a few new wireless ear bud options that help with this as well.  So the cords do not get all tangled and you can spend more time practicing and less setting up.

• 2038 points

I just do what the voices tell me to do......lol

•  

"Eye of the Tiger" ... Yo Adrian !!!

•  

Yes I listen to music at the range, it blocks out other people and I focus on hitting shots. putt the ipod on random and just go.

• 2801 points

For those that listen to music what do you have on that golf playlist?  

• 2243 points

CROCMAN
    "Eye of the Tiger" ... Yo Adrian !!!

Did you watch the Rocky-thon last night too?  My favorite is Rocky IV.  Duke's speech to kick off Rocky's training is the highlight of the movie.

• 4586 points

GolfGuyInTx
    I just do what the voices tell me to do......lol

My problem is that the voices tell me I can swing for the fences, or that I can make the "hero" shot.  I try not to listen to the voices

•  

My issue is with headphones. I have broken/lost so many that I've just stopped buying them. So no music for me.

•  

A huge part of the perceived feel of a club is the sound it makes with its strike. If you dampen that sound with headphones, in my opinion you are doing yourself a disservice.  I only have seen one Tour Player ever have headphones on during a range session.  In college, it was an epidemic, everyone did it.

The metronome app is an interesting idea, have not tried it.  

With that being said I do not mind if music is on during play, on an iPhone speaker or such while riding in the cart but certainly never headphones.  I was in the middle of a round with a good friend from college and he put on some Club/House music and I looked at him with a, "are you kidding me" kind of look.  That is where I draw the line.

•  

There's an app called the Swing Tempo Trainer, I heard a teaching pro recommended it. It has a metronome, or you can put in a tempo you choose.