Forums

Junior Golf Tour

• 1739 points

I signed up my oldest boy for a local US Kids event.  He'll be competing in the 6 and under division.

Have any of you registered your kids for these types of events before?  I'm curious to what the experience was like and what you and your child thought of it.

•  

Our son has participated in some of the local North Texas PGA Section activities last summer and he has really enjoyed the experience.  Personally, I think the earlier kids learn the easier it is to pick up.  I was surprised to see that there were certainly some kids out there that could put a good stroke on the ball at that age.

• 1739 points

I didn't pick the game until my teens, I definitely agree with you about picking it up early making it easier.  He's in a much better spot than I was, after playing the game for 2 years.

Thanks for the info.  If he likes it, I'll probably sign him up for a few more.

•  

My kids have enjoyed playing in the drive, chip and putt contest.  One of my daughters has also played in some of the Fort Worth junior events.  She has really enjoyed it! I'm glad to hear you are getting your son involved at an early age.

•  

Check and see if their is a PGA Junior League anywhere near you. The PGA is really working to appeal to kids, and they set up teams in a league, the kids get jerseys and weekly competition. One of the local courses here is starting it this year and is having great response.

When I was at the PGA Merchandiser of the Year conference, the guys from Cog Hill talked about their experience with the league. It has grown by leaps and bounds there.

• 1649 points

I have caddied for some friends kids in USA Kids events and they were fun times.  One boy is eight and he had a blast playing his first competitive tournament.  He even got to play with his friends and they all had a good time.  It was also a very good learning experience for all the boys, when a couple of rules issues came up.  I highly recommend it if they want to play competitive golf, as it gets them out for at least nine holes and they see what it is all about.  

•  

This sounds great.  I have two boys who have taken up the game in the last 18 months and this would be great for them.  Any suggestions on where I may be able to find something similar in the MA / RI area?

Thank you very much!

•  

It's crazy (not bad .. just crazy!) how young some of the kids are starting these days.

I started at 13 but that's a dinosaur considering how young they start at these days.

Played with a 15 year old +2 marker the other day (who absolutely pantsed me) who started at 6 ... so obviously the way to go ... oh to be that young again and able to put like I used to ...

• 1739 points

BostonBuzza
    This sounds great.  I have two boys who have taken up the game in the last 18 months and this would be great for them.  Any suggestions on where I may be able to find something similar in the MA / RI area?

Thank you very much!

Here's the link for the Boston area local tour:  www.uskidsgolf.com/.../boston

• 1739 points

CROCMAN

Played with a 15 year old +2 marker the other day (who absolutely pantsed me) who started at 6 ... so obviously the way to go ... oh to be that young again and able to put like I used to ...

Yeah, I'm expecting that in a couple of years with my boys.  I'm just glad my lessons lately have been going well.  I was getting tired of my son carrying me for 9 holes during the parent/child events.  I wish I could putt as well as he does.  The kid has the stroke.  

•  

kmcmellen
    CROCMAN

Yeah, I'm expecting that in a couple of years with my boys.  I'm just glad my lessons lately have been going well.  I was getting tired of my son carrying me for 9 holes during the parent/child events.  I wish I could putt as well as he does.  The kid has the stroke.

There is a good reason for that, they don't care if they miss.   I have heard it quite a bit from Tour Players, "putting younger."

•  

Personal friends with one of the top level people of the PGA Junior League. He is a first class guy all the way

•  

BostonBuzza

Thank you very much!

Check with your local PGA Section to find out if there's a PGA Junior League.

•  

kmcmellen
    I signed up my oldest boy for a local US Kids event.  He'll be competing in the 6 and under division.

Have any of you registered your kids for these types of events before?  I'm curious to what the experience was like and what you and your child thought of it.

I WAS A CADDY FOR MY GRANDSON FOR 3 YEARS IN THE S.TEXAS PGA JRS.

GREAT PROGRAMS.

•  

Thank you very much for the link.  Nothing in RI but a few not too far away in MA.  I will have to see if they have the desire and interest.  I have found out the hard way, if they really don't want to do it, DO NOT MAKE them.  It is much less enjoyable for both of us.  Hopefully this is the year they turn the corner and stick with the game.

thanks again