Forums

Hack Golf 15 inch cup

•  

The only good use for that size hole would be for temporary greens. At least then you could actually play out the hole....

•  

Several courses here have had tournaments featuring a larger cup, but they used an 8-inch cup. Strictly novelty events for them -- the reaction was that it was fun for the day, but most golfers weren't interested in playing that way all the time.  There is also a 9-hole executive course that cuts the 8-inch cup for one beginning junior event each month.

• 240 points

I'm fairly new to the game and I say no way! I love the challenge that this sport brings and there is no greater feeling than to work so hard and see the results of your game becoming better and better. Definitely a no go!

• 328 points

This concept does not suit my eye.  As mentioned before, each player still must arrive to the putting green, which may be where many of the challenges live.

•  

The way I've been putting lately ... IT COULDN'T HURT !!!

•  

bholley
    Hey Deno good to hear from you again. How is the music business coming?

We've been really busy this past year.  Three shows last week.    Not too much golf time but I'm getting a round in this weekend.

•  

I am a little shocked that people have concerns about a 15' cup. I get that it is a change in the game as a golfing community the majority of us don't like change but this could really boost play. We allow our kids to use a batting tee when they are learning baseball, we allow training wheels when learning how to ride a bike, we allow time for people to learn their job before throwing them into the fire, why would this not apply here?

We like our game how it is. This isn't  to say there are people in the FJC that are like this but here is a perfect example: I was teaching a friend of mine to play golf last year (he is a former soldier and was wounded in Iraq and had some issues with his left arm), he loves the game but due to injury he has pain in his left arm when hitting the ball when it's lying on the ground, no issues hitting off a tee. The doctors believed it's nerve issues that would pass in time. So we hit at the range for a month or so then we went out and played a round at a short 9 hole course that is known for being open to juniors on a Monday afternoon, there may have been 3 other cars in the parking lot that day. I let him tee the ball up on every shot because it allowed him to play faster and he was having a lot more fun, which is the goal. Wouldn't you know it a group 2 holes ahead of us, on the opposite side of the course drove their cart over to chew him out about how he can't do that and he is not playing the game right. I was on the other side of the fairway, hitting when this happened. I noticed the situation and walked over to hear one guy tell my buddy to "get off his course if you are going to play like that." My buddy is a nice guy and was out of his element, he didn't know wha to say, I was not. I went over and ripped those 4 guys up and down, explained to them the situation, and invited them all to the parking lot to continue the chat if they felt it was such a crime to allow my buddy to tee the ball up wherever he wanted. Even after explaining the situation one of them still said he shouldnt tee the ball up all the time, "it's not right" in his words. Whose to say its right or wrong? Clearly not those guys, who respectfully declined my invite to the parking lot :).

I know change can be hard sometimes, but I believe there is room in our game for larger cups.

Side note, my buddy is still playing golf and so far this year, 3 rounds in he is able to hit off the grass with no tee without any pain.

•  

I'm with you Mike

•  

I see it causing problems.. A major concern for me is you stripe on and it hits the hole and it's going to bounce out or a chip shot that's in  n out!

•  

TNT009
    I see it causing problems.. A major concern for me is you stripe on and it hits the hole and it's going to bounce out or a chip shot that's in  n out!

"The holes have sand at the bottom of the cup so balls traveling at a faster pace will stay in the hole."

Read more: www.post-gazette.com/.../201404200078

•  

I love the sand aspect, spot on Bruce, I didn't see that.

•  

Hmmm, still don't like it!

•  

I see nothing wrong with teaching people to play the game correctly.   Practice ranges is where I learned the game then I went onto the course and it made it so much more enjoyable.  Sure I shot a high number but my friends showed me how to play at a respectable pace.  If we held up other players, we allowed them to play through and did it in a friendly manner.  A friend of mine played with an elderly lady last week who tees up every shot up at a very private clut, otherwise she could not continue playing the game.  She plays slowly but moves along and she enjoys the game as it was intended.   Do we make baseballs bigger so it is easier for kids to hit them?  Do we make baskets bigger and basketball much smaller for young kids to learn the game?  Do we make hockey pucks bigger?  I could go on forever.  This might make it more fun in the learning process.  But it does take away from the sport and the intent of the sport.  Why should we alter sports as they were intended?  I grew up learning sports the way they were intended to be played.   I personally think we leave it alone and teach everyone to play the proper way and start by teaching them properly.  Regarding Mikes' comparison to employers: "we allow time for people to learn their job before throwing them into the fire, why would this not apply here?"  Certainly businesses do not alter job requirements.....sports can be fun when learned properly.....call me a traditionalist.....with due respect to all opinions....chuck  :-)  

•  

I like the idea of using a bigger baseball.

Hey maybe move the mound up a little and make the pitcher throw underhanded. I bet more adults would play especially if you bring in a few kegs. Women might like it better than baseball too. Leagues sprouting up every where, heck I bet Church people would even give it a go. Men and women, boys and girls, old and young all playing together with a bigger baseball.

Naw no way we need to stay true to the game.

Just remember if you are using a "metal wood" (term still cracks me up) then you are not being true to the game.

As for me when I am not out on the course teeing it up with my metal wood looking for a 15 inch cup I'm playing baseball with a bigger ball sitting on the end of bench between the keg and the good looking blonde first "base person".

•  

ChuckZ
    I see nothing wrong with teaching people to play the game correctly.   Practice ranges is where I learned the game then I went onto the course and it made it so much more enjoyable.  Sure I shot a high number but my friends showed me how to play at a respectable pace.  If we held up other players, we allowed them to play through and did it in a friendly manner.  A friend of mine played with an elderly lady last week who tees up every shot up at a very private clut, otherwise she could not continue playing the game.  She plays slowly but moves along and she enjoys the game as it was intended.   Do we make baseballs bigger so it is easier for kids to hit them?  Do we make baskets bigger and basketball much smaller for young kids to learn the game?  Do we make hockey pucks bigger?  I could go on forever.  This might make it more fun in the learning process.  But it does take away from the sport and the intent of the sport.  Why should we alter sports as they were intended?  I grew up learning sports the way they were intended to be played.   I personally think we leave it alone and teach everyone to play the proper way and start by teaching them properly.  Regarding Mikes' comparison to employers: "we allow time for people to learn their job before throwing them into the fire, why would this not apply here?"  Certainly businesses do not alter job requirements.....sports can be fun when learned properly.....call me a traditionalist.....with due respect to all opinions....chuck  :-)

Actually younger kids do use a smaller basketball than adults and, depending on age, the a shorter basket.