Forums

Hack Golf 15 inch cup

•  

It's not for me, but anything to get people interested in Golf is ok with me.  I doubt anyone good at basketball would want to play on a 7 foot hoop, but for someone like me who is terrible at it, a 7 footer is fun.  Just like the ReMax long drive isn't golf, but it's generating interest in a golf-esq game.  Success breeds love, and I think that's what Hack is banking on.

The real hinderance to growing the game is the cost of equipment, hefty green's fees, and the amount of time it takes to play it (let alone the practice time to get decent at it).  Programs like the 1st tee and courses with 9 and even 6 hole loops are going to grow the game more than a giant cup IMO.

•  

Whaql1
    I would love to see this for begining golfers and high cappers. I will make a difference in the confidence of the player and give the ability to teach the younger ones the game with advantages. It may take them 7 shots to get to the green, but if it takes them 3 instead of 4 to hole out, it's faster.

A ten on a hole is not fast play......people need to learn to play from the tees compatible to their level of play, which most do not.....having worked as a starter, I have seen people check in and state "this is the first time i have ever hit a golf ball"....while working also as a ranger, we would tell groups who feel behind acceptable pace (4.5 hours) to pick up after an 8 on a hole.  We had to, because we were running 60,000 rounds a year on the course.  I feel if they would spend quality time on the range and putting green instead of just wacking balls with no purpose and calling it practice, they would have a lot more fun.....there are enough affordable clinics to help them but they choose to let their friends who are terrible golfers try to teach them......a friend is one who sends you to a pro for help.....one opinion.....cz

•  

Here is a very intelligent piece written about the 15 inch cup

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304311204579508114039254966?mg=reno64-wsj

•  

A number of years ago, Jack came up with a concept to develop shorter courses (executive courses) with a golf ball with limited distance.  Goal, to encourage more play and here we are today, back to the basics of golf.  I too believe golf should be fun, but I do not think we should stray from the game of golf.  Build a 9 hole courses with 3 each par 3s, par 4s, par 5s, with 15" holes and shorter holes for beginners to learn on.   Make easy courses accessible and affordable for beginners.   Would there be any money in it for the operators is the bottom line question?  If not, nothing changes.  

• 5663 points

@Chuck

ChuckZ
    Whaql1I would love to see this for begining golfers and high cappers. I will make a difference in the confidence of the player and give the ability to teach the younger ones the game with advantages. It may take them 7 shots to get to the green, but if it takes them 3 instead of 4 to hole out, it's faster.

A ten on a hole is not fast play......people need to learn to play from the tees compatible to their level of play, which most do not.....having worked as a starter, I have seen people check in and state "this is the first time i have ever hit a golf ball"....while working also as a ranger, we would tell groups who feel behind acceptable pace (4.5 hours) to pick up after an 8 on a hole.  We had to, because we were running 60,000 rounds a year on the course.  I feel if they would spend quality time on the range and putting green instead of just wacking balls with no purpose and calling it practice, they would have a lot more fun.....there are enough affordable clinics to help them but they choose to let their friends who are terrible golfers try to teach them......a friend is one who sends you to a pro for help.....one opinion.....cz

@ChuckZ - Gold course operators also need to get more involved. Promote the game and how to play with FREE clinics at the range. Perhaps promote faster play by settings standards for play. If you've never played, try asking the aspirant if they would like to be a member of an introductory clinic, a three lesson learn the game tutorial to find those who really want to learn and are willing to make a commitment to learning..In short, make money but invest in sustaining the future with a commitment to their customers..

•  

pistolpete
    @ChuckChuckZWhaql1I would love to see this for begining golfers and high cappers. I will make a difference in the confidence of the player and give the ability to teach the younger ones the game with advantages. It may take them 7 shots to get to the green, but if it takes them 3 instead of 4 to hole out, it's faster.

@ChuckZ - Gold course operators also need to get more involved. Promote the game and how to play with FREE clinics at the range. Perhaps promote faster play by settings standards for play. If you've never played, try asking the aspirant if they would like to be a member of an introductory clinic, a three lesson learn the game tutorial to find those who really want to learn and are willing to make a commitment to learning..In short, make money but invest in sustaining the future with a commitment to their customers..

Pete:  I think you have made a very good point and some courses do offer clinics and ask people to sign up.  You would be very surprised how small the sign up sheet is.  

•  

[quote user="kmcmellen"]I'm not sure it would really help speed up the pace of play that much.  If it takes you 6 shots to get to the bunker, another 3 to get out, and you two putt instead of 3, is that really a help?

I agree with this point. If you are two+ over before you get to the green does it matter how big the cup you 3-4 putt too?

•  

I personally don't want to play on courses with holes like that, but I don't have a problem with a course designating itself as a course designed with the beginning golfer in mind.

•  

right behind the hole with the Hockey rink and Randy in net blocking the 15" cup....Give it a rest.

•  

until they get used to a 15" cup then try and play on a real course with a 3" cup, or 300% smaller.  You should make them play with a blade when you let them loose on a real course.  I certainly understand and can appreciate the attempt, but do you see them making a baseball that is the size of a beachball, or using a tennis racket instead of a ping pong paddle....Oh boy!

•  

Spot on Chuck, they don't say let's play ready golf for nothing....

• 373 points

Agree 100%  It'd be fun for a "silly" event, like a glo-ball tournament.  The great thing about golf is, even a 20 handicapper plays the same game as a tour pro.  What would make the game more enjoyable for most (and those playing behind most) is playing from the proper tees.  Move up!

•  

I played a local NJ 9 hole course with my Grandson s few years back that had two flags on each green.  One Regulation and one large bucket size hole.  We both had fun.  Of course the large hole was always front center on the green.

•  

bholley
    Here is a very intelligent piece written about the 15 inch cup

online.wsj.com/.../SB10001424052702304311204579508114039254966

Good article Bruce!!

•  

Hey Deno good to hear from you again. How is the music business coming?