Forums

St. Andrews may admit women.

• 1686 points

I wonder why it wasn't done after Augusta made the move.

•  

No too busy crashing attending a local wedding. Gave away the Bride and was the Best Man. There was also a fight at the reception but it really wasn't my fault. A picture with the previously happy couple

•  

This is a great move for the clubs to begin to add some diversity to their membership.  Just because something "has always been done that way" doesn't mean it should continue.  Glad to see the changes happening.

•  

I must clarify this a bit. St. Andrews is not a club, it is a golf course. It is in fact a public golf course owned and managed by the St. Andrews Trust. Anyone can play there. It is also public land, while playing you will find people walking on the property.

The actual club is the R&A, The Royal and Ancient Golf Club. It is this organization that owns the building that we all see behind the first tee at the Old Course, St. Andrews. It is this body that is thinking about a vote to admit ladies to thier membership.

The other thing mentioned was that Royal Troon is also thinking about this move. This is not true. Royal Troon has always had a Ladies Section, Troon Ladies. It was founded in the early 1800's, 1816 I think. They have thier own clubhouse (men not invited in!) and thier own golf course, the Portland Course at Royal Troon. Men are allowed on the Portland Course when the ladies do not have times booked. Ladies can, but usually do not play the Championship Course at Royal Troon.

•  

Thanks for this detail and info Rick. Did not have all these facts, so appreciate the color commentary.

I'm still trying to stop laughing at Bruce's classic photo bomb of the nuptials at the R&A. Clearly these folks had no idea what was about to befall them. The wedding night took a dastardly turn for sure!

• 4180 points

Tar Heel
    Thanks for this detail and info Rick. Did not have all these facts, so appreciate the color commentary.

I'm still trying to stop laughing at Bruce's classic photo bomb of the nuptials at the R&A. Clearly these folks had no idea what was about to befall them. The wedding night took a dastardly turn for sure!

Are we sure it was a dastardly turn for the wedding night?

•  

Actually the wedding was at the Scores Hotel. I highly recommend the place they have very friendly bartenders

•  

"Holley. Bruce Holley."

• 5037 points

Holley for President - Campaigning is an arduous task. Kissing babes, er, babies and posing for endless photos with the legions of admiring voters..The campaign continues...

•  

good good, get on it already :)