Forums

Are clubs really all that different?

•  

Great question Pete. I have been trying to replace my irons for years but can't find anything better. The only clubs that might get me to finally switch are the AP2-714 series. I also have a couple of sets of Hogan Director irons from the 70's. They feel great, but the lofts are one club weaker. For example, the Hogan 2 iron is the same loft as my 3 iron. I play them every once in a while. It's amazing how durable the old chrome has proved to be.

•  

FREDDY, THE WAY YOU PLAY YOU COULD USE A MALLET AND FEATHERY AND SCORE WELL.

I NEED A SET OF AP0'S,,,THATS WITH TWICE AS MUCH HELP AS THE AP1"S,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL.

• 4943 points

fredcloss
    Great question Pete. I have been trying to replace my irons for years but can't find anything better. The only clubs that might get me to finally switch are the AP2-714 series. I also have a couple of sets of Hogan Director irons from the 70's. They feel great, but the lofts are one club weaker. For example, the Hogan 2 iron is the same loft as my 3 iron. I play them every once in a while. It's amazing how durable the old chrome has proved to be.

Way to go Fred! I like the Directors as well. Don't let your ego of the club number get into your head. Just hit whatever gets you to the flagstick. Recently on a par three at my course, my partner in a club event was boasting about how he hit his 7I 190 and maybe he should have hit an 8. I hit a 5 or 6 that day. I casually mentioned his "stronger" lofts were probably the reason. He flatly rejected it and said his irons were "tour spec". I left it at that. To each his own...btw, I made a 2 and he made 4 ;)  Later I checked out his Miura "tour spec" irons -- there were almost 1 1/2 stronger lofts!