Forums

Upgraded to SM5's and 913's (finally)

•  

You can always take the black oxide wedges and drop them in a glass of coke overnight to remove the finish. This would leave you with the sometimes desired tour raw finish.

•  

I love the way my TVD K grind has worn.  The SM5's are very nice looking with great options.

TT

•  

Tyler Higley
    You can always take the black oxide wedges and drop them in a glass of coke overnight to remove the finish. This would leave you with the sometimes desired tour raw finish.

Rum is the only thing I will ever put into coke

CUBA LIBRE! 

•  

Then what is a Crown and Coke.

Chupacabre !!!!

TT

•  

Devin_Gmitter
    Justinu3tdogg21Justinu3@Tim, Tour Chrome... Not interested in Raw Black (it'll rust) and I'm not bling enough to do the Gold ones.

@Devin, I don't hit it quite as far as you DG, I think my 120 is my PW (45* AP1).  I couldn't believe how good the S felt in the sand and different types of 1/4-3/4 shots vs. my current M grind.  I'm sold for sure!

I thought I read the raw black doesn't rust.  Initially I thought it would (since it's named raw), but I think I read that was more for the color and not the finish.

it will because it has a label stating so on the shaft.  :-)  Justin is right on this one, the SM5 Black finish is designed to wear off and rust.  Don't believe everything you read on the internet, unless I say it! :-)

And to think it was over on the Team Titleist site I read that!

• 4937 points

Justinu3
    Hit some SM5's today, very nice.

My set today (SM4)

50.12 F grind

56.11 bent to 55.10 M grind

60.10 M grind

I tried: 56.14 F Grind, 56.10 S Grind and the 60.11 K Grind.

I wasn't a big fan of the K.  Definitely sticking to the M for my lob wedge.  BUT for the sand wedge.  I REALLY liked the S Grind from the sand and the grass.  Felt better than my current M grind.

Based on my loft gaps (4) and the conditions (hard) I typically play, I didn't have that many choices for grinds:

My PW is bent to 48, so I went with a 52.08 and my SW is at 56, so I got a 60.04.

I was a bit tempted to go with a 60.07 or .08 but I'm a "slider" and found that the lower bounce really worked better for me.  

I wanted to upgrade my PW/SW as well but it would not have gone over so well with the "Committee of 1" ;)