Forums

Another reason to keep it in the fairway

• 2963 points

They are going to start selling fire hydrants with golf clubs now.

espn.go.com/.../titanium-golf-clubs-ignite-fires-study-finds

• 5177 points

Winter has been way too long....I think I just read that golf clubs have started brush fires in Cali....I need some sunshine!!

•  

I read that.  I remember when titanium clubs came out you would occasionally see a spark.  Never thought it would cause a fire, but I guess anything is possible.

• 1664 points

WOWSERS.  The course I work at is as dry as I have ever seen, but we are more worried about customers throwing down lit cigarette or cigars.  Guess I will send that link to my boss so he can see it and brief the staff.

• 1836 points

I occasionally see sparks off my 913D2, but only when it's late at night on the range.  Never thought anything could last long enough to start a fire.  

•  

I see sparks from people's drive from time to time, but never imagined that being able to start a fire from dry brush and vegetation nearby.  Could the same thing happen if a stainless steel club hits a Titanium ball?

•  

Well, now that is a HOT club.  Does it give 15 more yards?

• 657 points

NCBob
    Well, now that is a HOT club.  Does it give 15 more yards?

I think it was 17 yards.  

• 4351 points

Only if it's -IER

• 1776 points

Brought to you by the golf police.

•  

The conditions would have to be windless for such a spark to ignite anything. My cattle manure detector is beeping loudly.

•  

This article has been circulating out here in SoCal for a while, mostly due to the very dry conditions.

The funny irony is that one of the clubs mentioned, Arroyo Trabuco Golf Club, is my home club. The fire mentioned was nothing serious and extinguished quickly. But it does make for sensational journalism that a golf club can start a fire!