Forums

Darkside

•  

If one were trying to split the flag stick with a bullet, a Leupold would be useful. However, since one only needs to hit near the flag, the $100+ cost savings of a Bushnell laser works really well.

• 4925 points

Dark side? I thought this was going to be a thread about buying a pair of shoes with stripes or a swoosh ;)

This is a definitely a smart purchase!

• 535 points

I have a sky caddie but thinking about switching to a Bushnell, any thoughts?

•  

I think it all depends on what you're looking for in a rangefinder/GPS.  I like my SkyCaddie because it can tell me distances to and across obstacles and hazards, even when I cannot actually see them.  I do, though, often confirm distances with someone in the group who has a laser rangefinder.  I'm satisfied with an approximate distance (yes, I move the pin around on the green to approximate the actual location) since I'm basically trying to put myself in position, not knock the pin down.

• 1698 points

After a week I can say that for my purposes the Tourv3 tells me all I need to know.

•  

stevebert2714

I don't think you would regret purchasing a Bushnell.....I have had one for about three years and it is the best decision I ever made....it is tournament legal and I always carry it with me....chuck

•  

I'm a GPS guy...hope you enjoy the bushnell though...heard good things about them...

• 4180 points

stevebert2714

You're really talking apples to oranges.

The GPS has many features and the distances are usually "good enough".  You can also see hazards and get distances to locations that you might not have visibility too.

The laser rangefinder is far simpler (no need to update, wait for it to load, charge a battery, etc) and it'll get you more exact distances than the GPS will.  However it can sometimes be tough to lock on to what you might be trying to get a distance to or you might get a distance to something in front / behind your intended target.

Really it comes down to, do you like simpler, or more "techy"  the GPS many times will also give you the option to record stats and what not too if you want.

I find that I use a GPS on my phone more often, but now that I have my own rangefinder (vs having to borrow) odds are that i'll use that most often.