Forums

Titleist 915 Woods - Moveable Sole and Crown Weights?

•  

So I am checking out the latest patent by Achushnet and noticed this could be what is coming this fall...moveable sole and crown plates to adjust weighting...check it out! Sort of technical but interesting if you are patient and read the document.

http://golf-patents.com/files/22847-21779/20140130_acushnet.pdf

• 4140 points

Interesting. I f I could make the same swing every 3 swing I think I could hit my existing Titleist clubs well.

It is definitely the Indian and not the Arrow.

•  

Chris, you may be onto something here.  I am not sure I fully understood some it, but I get the point.

Thanks for sharing.

• 5304 points

Interesting idea, may be what's to come for the 915 woods.  Seems like the cosmetics of having a changeable crown would be an issue.  Not sure how this would look at address as I love the clean look of the Titleist heads.

•  

Have been holding off waiting to see what the next line (915) of Titleists would be.....interesting.....heard they would be out this fall and am ready to give them a swing and pull the trigger on the golf debit card......am currently playing 910D3 10.25 deg and really like but could use a new one and was figuring on a D2....will see what they have in mind........

•  

interesting but I'm all about my 913's.... best woods from Titleist that I've had.

•  

I would not count on seeing this. It is not uncommon to file for protection every possible iteration of an idea. Even if you don't use it, you have prevented anyone else from using it. Makes the competition do more work to get around your IP filing.

• 5304 points

Who knows if this will ever make it into production or not, but I think having a removable and adjustable crown on the head of the driver would have a good possibility of impacting the aesthetics of the club.  These clubs look so good to the eye at address I don't think they would want a lot of "stuff" on the crown to take away from this.

•  

Bring em on.... But I'm not ditching 913s!

• 3694 points

I love reading stuff like this.  Even if it doesn't come to fruition you get to see what the manufacturers are trying and thinking about.

•  

19hole
    I would not count on seeing this. It is not uncommon to file for protection every possible iteration of an idea. Even if you don't use it, you have prevented anyone else from using it. Makes the competition do more work to get around your IP filing.

At least Titleist is examing all sorts of moveable weights...could be interesting to see what happens this fall.

•  

Interesting.  But I wouldn't put much stock in it being in the next release.  The patent was filed almost 2 years ago and was just published a couple of weeks ago.  This could be something they tested and eventually scraped or it could even be for something in the future.  Or like Rick said, it could just be done to essentially prevent another company from using the technology until Titleist can figure how to best use it.

•  

19hole

Commonly referred to as the "picket fence" tactic of addressing every possible iteration of an idea, and filing for it. In today's litigious society, combined with the nature of fast following, smart companies make sure they wrap up as much as possible. Great insight here Rick. And right on point.