Forums

Augusta's Eishenhower pine is gone

•  

Before and after photos:

http://photoblog.golf.com/2014/02/26/before-and-after-augusta-national-without-eisenhower-tree/?sct=hp7

•  

wow.  Not quite the same hole without it.

Looking at the third picture, you can see why they had no choice but to take it down.

• 614 points

That's really too bad -- tree was iconic.

• 126 points

I heard that a foreign golf course donated an acorn from a tree that Eisenhower planted

• 5177 points

donttoptheball
    I heard that a foreign golf course donated an acorn from a tree that Eisenhower planted

Donated an acorn to Augusta? Hmmm..While that may be true, I wonder that the competition committee for the Masters might want to plant something more mature to take the place of the Eisenhower pine. An oak regardless of tpye would take decades to reach a size that would recreate the hazard that was the Eisenhower loblolly pine. Another loblolly pine, a fast growing species suited to the soil of the course and the region would be a likley replacement. And given the history of Augusta National's membership tinkering and altering the golf course, I would think they would move to restore this natural hazard, a formidable defense for the hole.

And welcome donottoptheball! Keep posting - This is a fantastic community! You will enjoy the interaction and insights and humor found here daily.

• 1393 points

Shhot, I'd bet they could have replaced it with a replica and no one would have been the wiser. I was there last year and a member told me a story of how one year a massive tree fell on one of their outhouses (you should see their outhouse - this one was about 2000 square feet) . They had it replaced OVER NIGHT. The only way you could tell was by the shingles on the roof.

•  

Wow... Amazing how it changes the hole.