Forums

Range Finders with slope, wind direction/strength etc...

•  

Does anyone have a range finder with distance calulated for slope and wind etc? I am interested in a new rangefinder and I am not sure if I want one with all the bells and whistles and wanted the forum's opinion. I do play in tournaments ever once in a while but I can always use my old range finder if needed.

Thanks for the input.

Mike W

• 1362 points

I have the Leupold gx-4i which I find very accurate. It has a removable slope cap which is supposed to legalize it during tournament play but the fact that it has the ability to provide a slope adjusted range deems it non-conforming by USGA standards. You plug in the altitude and it also makes adjustments accordingly. You can program your club distances so that it can suggest the appropriate club but I don't use this function. The one thing that all laser range-finders need is a steady hand but with this I just keep the button depressed and it will give running distances so that you can tell you have ranged the pin and not the objects behind or in front of the green. Here is the link to the manual:

golf.leupold.com/.../GX_3i+4i_rngfndr_mnl_2012.pdf

•  

Sounds like a bit much to me, I feel like having wind speed would take out the fun and tradition of determining what the wind is doing on your own. It does sound pretty cool though - would make a caddy job (like myself) a lot easier though!

•  

The slope models are not allowed in tournaments.  Try the Bushnell V-2.  I think it is an amazing range finder.

•  

I'm a Leupold fan....

Just give me the yardage, so much of that other stuff detracts from the game..!

•  

TNT009
    I'm a Leupold fan....

I am in total agreement......play golf..... I have a Bushnell Medalist which is more than adequate but if it ever wears out I plan on upgrading to a Bushnell Tour Z6 Tournament Edition or type at that time.....that is their latest and they are tournament legal.......Leupold makes a top product as well....between these two it is just a matter of choices......shoot and play...

• 4203 points

I try to the KISS principle when buying stuff. The more features the more things to go wrong or fiddle with. On courses that I play frequently a simple range finder is perfect. On courses that I don't play much I prefer a GPS unit more information about the course.

• 2441 points

I just use my Golf Logix on my phone , I am not at the scratch level where I need to get the yardage down to the exact yard as some here are.

Just takes 5 seconds to get the yardage and I am good to go, the courses I play the most I have yardage books with notes on the greens so I rely heavily on those.

• 5875 points

TNT009

I agree completely.  Just give me the number to the target and let my brain figure everything else out.  I loved my Tour V-2 and it finally a couple of weeks ago after quite a few years of service.  I have been eyeing a Tour Z6 as a replacement.  No need for all of the fancy slope, wind, GPS, etc. data in my opinion.

•  

All the additional information just confuses you more, so I strongly recommend that you skip it and stick with the basics.  A simple rangefinder to give more precise distances or a good GPS that will give you distance to hazards (seen and unseen) are really all you need to play any course, even one you've never set foot on before.  The only thing they don't give you in where on the green to miss the shot.  That's where course knowledge and skill come in.  Oh, and reading the greens.

• 4650 points

You can give me precise yardages with a range finder, but the consistency

of my strikes makes any yardage a possible outcome!!

•  

I went with the Bushnell V2 Tour.  I really like it.  I didn't want the slope version.  Even if I'm playing by myself, I didn't want to feel like I was "cheating."  Same reason I don't want non-conforming grooves on my wedges even though they can be had at a nice discount.  But that's just me and my opinion.  I don't think anyone is cheating if they use a slope version, just how I do it for me personally.

• 2441 points

I am right there with you Pete, knowing your yardages cant do any good if you don't put a good move on the ball.

I guess that's why we play this great but goofy game  , no two rounds are ever the same.

• 3718 points

I have the Tour V2 from Bushnell.  It's simple and easy to use.  Many times I won't even use a range finder unless I'm at an odd spot in between the markers where I can't reasonably figure the distance.

•  

I have a Leupold that I like a lot, it does the slope (but you can turn it off for tourneys).  I have been a Leupold fan since my brother-in-law, an Army sniper, told me that they only use Leupold for their scopes and he raves about those.