Forums

USGA jumps on distance device bandwagon

•  

pulplvr
    Okay, the USGA says GPS are okay, provided they do not give any information other than distance; e.g., slope, etc..  Here's a USGA flow chart to help you decide if yours is acceptable:

www.usga.org/.../DMD%20flowchartv1-3.pdf

What about gps that shows distances to hidden hazards or shows the hole layout? I would think that's more than just distance.

•  

I think they give distance to front, middle and back on the hole layout....I have seen folks use those and do not care for them personally.....like my Busnell and like to shoot the exact distance......you can shoot those hazzards to the red or white stake.....does the GPS include slope...if it does, then it is illegal.....

• 2420 points

Can only help speed up play, a very good choice.

• 2420 points

They are depending on people having respect for the game and the rules when using the devices, afterall its a game of honor and integrity.

No matter what a lot of the newbies think.

•  

The GPS maps are not a problem, nor is the part of the system that gives you yardage to a hazard, to clear a hazard, etc.  All of that is normally found in those printed course yardage books that you can buy for $5-10.  The non-allowed stuff is slope change, wind direction and speed, and stuff like that.

•  

Most devices state what they measure and whether they conform or not.....if you purchase one that has the ability to make it conform by changing the lenses, it is still illegal in tournaments.....most amateurs at our level are not that exact to begin with....so the variables will not matter to most......bushnells measure within 1/2 yard and leupolds 1 yard ....I like to know I am hittimg close enough to make a putt.....leupold has a new laser out that you can program in the club to hit that figures wind, slope and everything else that would make them illegal in a tournament......sounds like they would take the fun out of golf......

• 771 points

I like it as well.  Speeds up play and you still need to hit the ball to the right yardage.  In the pros, the caddy already would have had in his book anyway.  Amateur events this is a must, where most are not as fortunate to have the pre-round scouting.