Forums

R&A OKs rangefinders for amateur events

•  

I'm more of a yardage book guy. I find it pretty fast and most times I have my yardages faster than the guys in the group with rangefinders!

• 4180 points

Devin_Gmitter
    ChuckZI think it is a smart ruling and in the best interest of golf.  In most invitational amateur tournaments I play in we are allowed to use rangefinders as long as they do not  include the slope.  I think it is quicker that figuring the yardage from a yardage book.....  After years of borrowing them from playing partners I FINALLY picked one up, very excited to have it once all the snow melts!

You too?!  The wife got me a nice Bushnell (the patriot pack I think?) for my birthday and I can't wait.  Too bad its literally 0 today :(  Spring will come I know it will!

•  

miniwarmth
    golfchickRemember. this is just the R&A -- not the USGA.

Am confused -- what's the news here?  Isn't this just the same as USGA rule and something that's been permitted since in both 2006?

www.usga.org/.../rules_answer.asp

Mini, you're right -- the ruling has been around for a while, but from what I understand, it has not been used. much, and that most competitions have not allowed it.  It seems to me it would certainly help with pace of play in college events.

•  

Devin_Gmitter
    ChuckZI think it is a smart ruling and in the best interest of golf.  In most invitational amateur tournaments I play in we are allowed to use rangefinders as long as they do not  include the slope.  I think it is quicker that figuring the yardage from a yardage book.....  After years of borrowing them from playing partners I FINALLY picked one up, very excited to have it once all the snow melts!

DG,

You will never be the same.  I absolutely love my Bushnell.

I think it will slow down play if they have to keep lazering to get the yardage.

Like Rick, I would prefer a yardage book if they are done right.

TT

•  

I just added a leupold to the bag and used it in Texas earlier this month for the first time.  Definitely made my club decisions much faster!

•  

With a good Bushell, aim it and shoot it.....and fire at the flag.....and move on.....trust your yardage

•  

Devin_Gmitter

I picked one up before last season.  I debated for about a year between a laser or a GPS.  Decided to jump on a deal for a laser and haven't regretted it once.  It was a huge help last year after I upgraded my irons and was unsure of my distances.

•  

I think the laser is very useful and really speeds things along.  My Bushnell range finder finally gave it up about a month ago so it is time to find a replacement.  I think the yardage books can provide a lot of useful information that the laser cannot, but for speed of play (i.e., give me a distance and shoot) the laser is a great option.

There is only two tournaments that I play in that do not allow rangefinders to be used and between a good caddie and a yardage book there are no issues without it.  Either way, as long as you can get your number, you are good.  I guess it goes down to personal preference but I'm glad they are making more options available.

•  

Mike_C
    I think the laser is very useful and really speeds things along.  My Bushnell range finder finally gave it up about a month ago so it is time to find a replacement.  I think the yardage books can provide a lot of useful information that the laser cannot, but for speed of play (i.e., give me a distance and shoot) the laser is a great option.

There is only two tournaments that I play in that do not allow rangefinders to be used and between a good caddie and a yardage book there are no issues without it.  Either way, as long as you can get your number, you are good.  I guess it goes down to personal preference but I'm glad they are making more options available.

The rangefinders will not give the slopes on the greens that you get with a yardage book and slopes running into hazards on the fairways....both sides make very good cases......yardage books do provide a lot of good information, but for just yardage to the green, you cannot beat a good range finder, whether it be a Bushnell or a Leupold......if they could only read putts....what an invention.......

•  

ChuckZ
    ......if they could only read putts....what an invention.......

Sign me up for the putt reading machine...  oops, I believe that might be a rules infraction...  I guess this is another area where a good caddie really comes into play to at least provide a second set of eyes on the line... or we could just switch to the 15 inch holes Mark King (TM) is pushing and would not really have to worry about reading the putts too much...

•  

I learned that and then I bought one. I cant wait until spring so I can start playing again