Forums

SC Newport Notchback on Vacation

•  

Consider myself a pretty good putter, but lately my stroke has gone astray.  Took my Newport 2 Notchback Select out of the bag and inserted my older model Studio Style Newport 2 303 GSS 35" 330grm 1.0 Super Stroke Grip  in the bag....improvement, YES...three birdies and an eagle.....first day out.........always used a plumber neck shaft until this new notchback.....guess it will stay there for a while....how is your winter stroke?

• 2632 points

Chuck -- i remembered your post from 2 months ago -----

"ChuckZ 2 months ago

I have been having problems with my putting lately and took my pet Scottys into the shop today for a tuneup.  After close examination it was determined that they needed a major reallignment.  The loft was off by six degrees on one and five on the other and the angle was off four degrees on both.  The ball was bouncing off the face on both and one was going right and the other left.  After the tuneup they seemed to check out and the ball was again rolling smoothly and on line.  One word of advise that was given to me;  "Don't lean on your putter when you are on the green waiting to putt.  It will cause your putter to get out of allignment very quickly".  Lesson learned!  Maybe it is not the Indian.  : )"  

were you leaning on your putter again?  Or maybe it is the indian not the arrow this time..... good luck with the putter change sometimes as they say its all in the head.  

• 5483 points

A fresh perspective is always worth looking at.

•  

Pony
    Chuck -- i remembered your post from 2 months ago -----

"ChuckZ 2 months ago

I have been having problems with my putting lately and took my pet Scottys into the shop today for a tuneup.  After close examination it was determined that they needed a major reallignment.  The loft was off by six degrees on one and five on the other and the angle was off four degrees on both.  The ball was bouncing off the face on both and one was going right and the other left.  After the tuneup they seemed to check out and the ball was again rolling smoothly and on line.  One word of advise that was given to me;  "Don't lean on your putter when you are on the green waiting to putt.  It will cause your putter to get out of allignment very quickly".  Lesson learned!  Maybe it is not the Indian.  : )"  

were you leaning on your putter again?  Or maybe it is the indian not the arrow this time..... good luck with the putter change sometimes as they say its all in the head.

actually had them both tweeked at the same time......just tired of losing to my buds in skins games.....back in the groove, for a while at least.......Geronimo.....

• 5483 points

How do you like that oversized grip? I have heard a lot of good things about them. If I had two identical putters I would do a comparison of grips.

•  

MarkWDallasTx
    How do you like that oversized grip? I have heard a lot of good things about them. If I had two identical putters I would do a comparison of grips.

I haven't used one on a course, but I tried all the different SuperStroke models one day at a Golfsmith and I was shocked how much I liked it.  I really like the Pingman grip and have used one on all my putters for close to 20 years, but I'm serisouly considering trying a SS grip.  The only thing holding me back is price.  I don't really want to play $20+ for a grip I'm not totally sold on using and keeping.

•  

tdogg21
    MarkWDallasTxHow do you like that oversized grip? I have heard a lot of good things about them. If I had two identical putters I would do a comparison of grips.

I haven't used one on a course, but I tried all the different SuperStroke models one day at a Golfsmith and I was shocked how much I liked it.  I really like the Pingman grip and have used one on all my putters for close to 20 years, but I'm serisouly considering trying a SS grip.  The only thing holding me back is price.  I don't really want to play $20+ for a grip I'm not totally sold on using and keeping.

An oh so small price to pay for making more putts! I am honestly shocked everyone doesn't use them, so easy!

•  

I have the SS Slim 3.0 on my Newport and really like how it quiets my hands.  For someone having issues or lacking confidence, I would highly recommend these.  But it's always nice to have a pro look at your stroke to check for any issues.

My Golo 5 has the standard grip and I have added a thin layer of grip tape to it.

TT

•  

Here's what I'm doing to mine!  =)

• 4480 points

I pulled the stock grip off of my putter.  Put on a Winn Jumbo putter grip and it made a huge improvement.  As most everyone who likes the oversized grips will say, it definitely quiets my hands down.

•  

Justinu3

Looking good Justin!  I love the JYD stamp.  

I used to switch putters all the time.  It was mostly Newport style heads.  I would roll them at home and whatever one I was feeling made it to the bag.  

I'm not sure why, but I switched to a Circa 62 No.2 and had a phenomenal round.  I think I had 10 putts over a 9 hole stretch.  It was ridiculous.  I left it in the bag for a season and grew to like the flow neck.  Over the winter two seasons ago I got a Napa and never looked back.  My putting is usually pretty solid, and I love the way the Napa looks.  I have one for sun and one for rain, and no Tim, you cannot have either one.

•  

Justinu3

Looks good!  Always nice to have a few personal touches added to your clubs.

•  

Devin_Gmitter
    tdogg21MarkWDallasTxHow do you like that oversized grip? I have heard a lot of good things about them. If I had two identical putters I would do a comparison of grips.

I haven't used one on a course, but I tried all the different SuperStroke models one day at a Golfsmith and I was shocked how much I liked it.  I really like the Pingman grip and have used one on all my putters for close to 20 years, but I'm serisouly considering trying a SS grip.  The only thing holding me back is price.  I don't really want to play $20+ for a grip I'm not totally sold on using and keeping.  An oh so small price to pay for making more putts! I am honestly shocked everyone doesn't use them, so easy!

I agree.  I just have to convince myself that it will help.  I had about a four year stretch that I was a lights out putter.  Unfortunately last year wasn't so good.  So maybe now is the time to give something different a try!

•  

I replaced the original grip on my Bullseye putter several years ago with an oversize Winn grip and have been using one on that putter ever since.  I started with the mid-size and have since moved on to the Jumbo Lite.  Like how the putter feels in my hands with this grip.  The Scotty Fastback 1 I have been using for the past two and a half months has a regular black Scotty grip on it (a replacement grip).  It's okay, but I like the Jumbo Lite better.  Just not willing yet to switch that grip.

• 5318 points

@ChuckZ did they check the loft/lie off your putter with the same machine as they use for irons?  Just curious.