Forums

Switching from Cleveland to Vokey Wedges?

• 4131 points

I would spend the money to get fit for wedges.

•  

Devin, I believe RH is a digger.  The higher bounce prevents you from going in too deep.  The -04 would be good on hard or very tight conditions.  You may want to use different wedges based on current course conditions.

•  

If the 60/04 didn't work he's a digger.... Vokey says bounce is your friend!

• 3296 points

Great input guys!  I need a 52 & 60 for now but probably need a lower bounce wedge for one of my main courses. I definitely get into trouble on those tight lights when hitting 1/2 shots.

I think you are right on the fitting aspect -- although it will be tough in my part of the world.   Everything over here is custom ordered. I think I'll have to "raid" the bags of a few different people to get a sense of the shaft/bounce options.

What's the general consensus on stock shafts in the Vokes? In my current wedges I have the DG300 but found the new Clevelands shafts not to my liking -- way too soft/flexible.

• 3296 points

Chris92009
    TNT009Always been a Vokey fan..... Good move, just get fit!

Todd makes a good point, when moving to Vokey's important to get fit into the right shaft, grind etc... when you get the best setup for wedges via Vokey in your hands the performance and difference on the course is incredible!

Of course you would say that! Both you and Todd were fit by Voke!  I just re-read your write-up of your fitting experience.  Can't re-iterate how jealous I am :(

•  

miniwarmth
    How many of how have made the switch? I've been using Cleveland wedges for years and am due for an update. People seem passionate about both.

I made the switch and have never regretted it. I loved my Cleveland's and my wedge game is really the only game I have.  Eventually I won a 60* vokey, and shortly after I purchased a 54, and 56. Cleveland wedges are good clubs, but Vokeys are just that much better.

•  

You can't go wrong with the Vokey's.  Make sure and get fit for the proper clubs.

TT

• 4617 points

I own both Cleveland and Vokey wedges. I play Vokeys. While my eye is drawn to the shape of the Cleveland wedges, the accuracy I find with the Vokey wedges is simply better, swing for swing...

• 688 points

Redskins87
    RMH49 your basically going between bounce for a slider in the 04 and bounce for a digger in 10, a slider takes no divot really at all, there will be contact with the ground but really no chuck of grass flying, so when a slider gets a wedge with lots of bounce the wedge will some times skip of the ground into the middle of the ball and cause some thin shots which no one wants.  what you need to do is get fit, have someone take a 56/11 which is a medium bounce for a sand wedge and put some lie tape on the club and hit a couple 50 yard shots on a lie board.  If the tape shows markings on the leading edge that would mean you are a digger and you will need more bounce, if the markings are more to the back edge of the tape that means you are a slidder and need less bounce.  For a correct fit the markings should be in the dead center of the tape.  This fitting will aslo show you that you will probably need to bend your wedges flat or upright which will also help your misses!

• 688 points

Thanks for the input. Very much appreciated. I've notice when I'm on the range or playing a round, most of the "marks" (ball scuff or dirt) is usually one-two grovves up from the bottom groove. From reading, since I dnn't take a divot, I was a "slider" I'll try the tape method first, and if it indicates the same, I'll invest in a Vokey 56-08 (since he offers bounce options) and give it a try.

• 2420 points

I made the switch at the end of last season. I liked the Cleveland but I have made the switch to all Titleist sticks and picked up a Vokey 60* and 56*.

The biggest difference is the amount of spin I am able to get from the sand, big difference IMO.

• 5298 points

Can't go wrong with the Vokeys but no matter which way you go I would go to a fitter to get the correct bounce / loft combination for your stroke and typical playing conditions.  If you don't want to go that option, I would at least go somewhere where you can hit the different bounce options (hi, mid and low) on actual grass (not on a mat) prior to and making the decision yourself.

• 3296 points

@Mike_C -- thanks. I agree with you on the bounce. That appears to be my "weakness" right now and I'll need to get that sorted.Thanks.

• 688 points

Thanks for the excellent idea on grass instead of mats. Titleist and other equipment makers usually has new equipment demos in the spring and fall at my course. Since I'm not in a hurry, I'll wait until I can demo several options. .

• 1596 points

We are lucky to have many good clubs, brands, of the brands Vokey is one of the best (in my opinion). When changing clubs I go to one of the merchants like Golfsmith, use their hitting bays to get the stats. I will hit clubs side by side (including the ones in my bag) comparing spin rate, and distance. My opinion you will like Vokey and when using the ProV the spin rate is great.