Forums

It's a cold one

• 3688 points

Currently 0 degrees and feels like -24.  One of our colder winter days (we're not un-used to these, they just dont happen often).

We generally hang out more in the teens and low 20s this time of year.  I was almost concerned my vehicle wouldn't start (and it sure was grumpy when I did get it running).  

I wish I lived somewhere warmer sometimes, then I could golf year round :)

•  

Wow- I couldn't even tell the difference between +30s compared to +20s. . .  I can't imagine anything less.

Anywhere and plenty of choices along the southern states might suite you, if you were serious.

• 4617 points

we went from 50 degrees F yesterday to 15 F this morning where I live on Cape Cod...

• 1475 points

I hear ya man.   The high for yesterday here was -9.    and thats not with wind chill.     Little better today, currently at least on the positive side at a whopping 1 degree.  

• 9 points

Where I'm sitting, it is -8 degrees.  Yesterday it got down to -20.  

•  

This cold put major power outages in S Carolina this morning.  About 50,000 people were without power in the Charleston area.  Our power company, I guess is just not prepared to this kind of cold.....they were on the TV apologizing for the inconvenience to the customers.......something to do with a powerdown at the substations statewide.......chill factor was in the low teens.....has not been this cold since the mid 1980s according to the weatherman.  The schools started 2-3 hours laters today.  We along the eastcoast are just not accustomed to this......no golf today or tomorrow.....brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• 704 points

Still below freezing here with 25 to 35 MPH winds!

•  

-50 with the windchill here on Monday night, just flat out crazy cold! Getting up to 38 on Sunday, going to feel like 60's.

• 1373 points

It's warmer in Anchorage, AK (22 degrees) than here in Atlanta (20) as I write this.  It was 5 with a -9 windchill when I woke up this morning.  

Looking forward to the 60's this weekend, although it will likely be raining.

•  

The big chill seems to be easing here in southern Texas.  Yesterday, the high almost reached 40, but the wind chill kept the "feels like" in the high 20's.  today is a bit warmer, with less wind:  highs into the mid-40's with "feels like" temp only a few degrees below that.  There were even some folks on the local course this afternoon.  I'm playing tomorrow, if the rains don't shut us out, since the highs are reaching back up toward the 60's--almost normal for this time of year.  Weathermen said this is the coldest it's been in the Houston area in at least three years, and the state power control folks were calling for everyone to lower their thermostats to 68 and shut off unnecessary electrical items to conserve power.  Precautionary in case the cold in the rest of the state caused breakdowns int he grid.  Can't even escape it here.  Looks like Hawai'i is the only way out of the chill.

• 1132 points

Was a balmy 12 degrees here in Oklahoma yesterday, and it might hit 40 today.  Got snow on the ground at the course I work at, so I am enjoying a few needed days off to recover from a bad cold.  Hope everybody is warm and safe out there.  

•  

pulplvr

The big chill seems to be easing here in southern Texas.  Yesterday, the high almost reached 40, but the wind chill kept the "feels like" in the high 20's.  today is a bit warmer, with less wind:  highs into the mid-40's with "feels like" temp only a few degrees below that.  There were even some folks on the local course this afternoon.  I'm playing tomorrow, if the rains don't shut us out, since the highs are reaching back up toward the 60's--almost normal for this time of year.  Weathermen said this is the coldest it's been in the Houston area in at least three years, and the state power control folks were calling for everyone to lower their thermostats to 68 and shut off unnecessary electrical items to conserve power.  Precautionary in case the cold in the rest of the state caused breakdowns int he grid.  Can't even escape it here.  Looks like Hawai'i is the only way out of the chill.

Nah, it's been in the 70's and 80's here in San Diego the last couple of weeks. Going to have a cold spell the next two days, like mid 60's or so. Just hope it stays this nice for the Farmers in a few weeks. Fingers crossed. :-)

• 688 points

It's a balmy (lol) +33 in Salt Lake City. Saw small patches of grass on several golf courses on the way home from work. It's the annual teaser to make you think golf is around the corner, then it snows again and again, and again dashing your hopes for weeks.

•  

Hawaii is nice.  But you really don't have to go that far to find warm sunshine... like San Diego.  ... Don's right!

The Coachella Valley or Palm Springs area is also fantastic!  We were there over the weekend.  The temps in the mid/high 70s with lots of courses to play.

•  

You know it does get cold in California every now and then.....my wife and I went to San Franciso in July one year and had to buy sweatshirts to keep warm because the temp dropped to the low 50's.....a record low for that time of year......and with the breeze coming in off the bay, it was cold.....Don and Noel enjoy what the rest of us wish we had......